Flinter cleaning device

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not for a flinter, but something just like it for a caplock long rifle. It works good. I find it easier than pouring water down the muzzle.

I have tried a couple of different versions. The most recent has hung unused on some of the plumbing of a downstairs washtub for about ten years. A round toothpick in the touchhole is easier, better, and faster. I can see a similar setup working with a percussion rifle but I have yet to use the flintlock version that didn't leak. A lot.

It couldn't just push in the touch hole. It would have to screw into where a touch hole liner screws in to seal. Just like the nipple.

Yeah, I bet Randy is right. The O ring clamps around the touch hole but would need to seal off the screw slot that's in the liner. My big ol 58 has a 3/8" White lighnin in it and the slot runs all the way across it. Probably won't seal up. Thanks!

I've had a White Lightning liner. There shouldn't be any slot and the liner is ground flush after it's installed with the barrel. It's not meant to be removed until it's worn out and replaced.

I just took another look at it. I agree the o-ring setup wouldn't be that good.

Toothpick and pouring down the muzzle would be better. Not that that is a leakproof method either. At least it's cheap.

Yeah and you are correct, this one with the slot is not a White Ligtnin. It looks like it's staked in four places, could be hard to remove when time comes.

I bought one of those things, used it once .. water everywhere under the barrel and lock. The round toothpick is MUCH better.

patocazador said:
I bought one of those things, used it once .. water everywhere under the barrel and lock. The round toothpick is MUCH better.
Thanks!

I just bought something similar from capandball for my new pedersoli flinter but i haven't used it yet.

With mine you unscrew the touch hole liner and screw this one into the hole, and clean. 

I'll let you know how it goes.

Have never used any of these devises, just do the regular barrel cleaning then blow out the vent from the muzzle end. Been doing this for at least 50 years with no problems. Probably why no issues is all my flinter's have larger vent holes as I prime with the same powder I shoot with - 3FFF.

Back