Flintlock Smoke!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
A couple weeks back a friend and I took my 2 flinters to the range and just shot the giving hell out of them. I was videoing and so I used my editor to slow down the videos and took screen shots of the cool frames of the pan powder lighting off from the beginning to the end :shooter:
smoke2.png

smoke.png

smoke4.png

"Methodology" is as important to some as "practicality" is to others. When I started hunting, I chose muzzle loaders, because I considered hunting from a blind over corn with a high powered center fire rifle with an equally high powered scope a bit "unsportsmanlike". The years have changed my thinking more or less, that however an individual chooses to take game is an individual thing and I support all legal means in order to support first and foremost.... liberty. When I went to the ranch to hunt yesterday and could have chosen my second choice.... my Sharps............or the black plastic stocked, scoped .308 bolt action that I have never taken to the field, I took my flint smooth rifle. I could have a mountain of critters under my belt had I hunted all these years with 20th century advantages, far more than I have so far. However the memories are for me personally far sweeter if I can fill some tags with my flinters.........especially now with a gun that kicks it up a notch being a smooth bore as well. I may fail at the attempt, but the reward for me is better than filling tags.

Thanks for sharing the photos! The satisfaction of flint striking steel! :thumbs up:

hawgslayer said:
I'm not much on flinters but that's some interesting pics.

Ray.............
Ray
You gotta give one a try. There fun and addicting. Im not crazy for flinters I still like the caps equally as well but I gotta admit those flinters will make you smile when you figer one out. Al

On my wall, flintlocks out number my percussion guns 3 to 1!  And im not that damn good with a flinter either! :shock:

Al,
I have a flinter that was made in Italy. It's a .54 cal. My hunting buddy gave it to me. He never shot it and still had grease on it. He was looking for a percussion and got this one for a gift by mistake. He never shot it. I shot it 3 times at the range and was impressed with it's accuracy. It's a little more work and you cant shoot in the rain. ;)
Maybe some day I'll get into it but for now the P/CAP has my vote. 8)

Ray.................... :Red tup:

Why cant you shoot in the rain?...I hunt all the time here in Florida...And I was born and raised in Oregon both have soggy reputations....a with a bit of attention to detail I have hunted successfully in both with flintlocks mainly and also percussion..... what problems do you have or is it just you don't like to hunt in the rain....Just trying to see if I can lend a hand...

YMHS
Hilljack

OOOPS....My Bad..... :slaps: :Hide: 

YMHS
Hilljack

Semper Paratus....68-88

I have about an even number of flint and percussion rifles. I enjoy the flinters best, but they are the bigger challenge to avoid recoil.
Ron

I don't have a flintlock but I do have some caplocks. I have been here lately think of going on the hunt for one. Those photos are real cool Jon.

Latest posts

Back