Fool Proof Omega Load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VENISONEATR

Reaction score
A buddy of mine just bought a T/C Omega thumbhole .50 Cal. M/Ler. He's planning on hunting Iowa after the 1st of the year. Does anyone have a proven load he can start with. There's nothing like a buddy who wait's until the last minute!!!!!

Jim

VENISONEATR

My fool proof load, which is xpensive these days, from my Omega is 100 grains of loose T7-2f, Nosler .461/260 grain Partition HP, MMP-HPH-24 sabot and Remington 209-4 primer.

My second choice is the same thing only a Speer Gold Dot .452/250 grain Bonded HP.

I have shot SST's and Shockwave and they shoot great but I am not sold on them @ the closer ranges....

I'll send ya a 10ML he can use !

LOL!

2 pyro pellets and a 250 SW shoud do fine... w/ the yellow sabot.

My vote goes for either 2 pellets of whatever :lol: or better still 100gr ffg Triple Se7en LOOSE and either a 250gr .452 XTP, 250gr Shockwave, 250gr Bonded Shockwave, or a 200gr Shockwave. More than likely...all of those combos will at the very least shoot very good...

Im jumping a thread here but what sabots do you have success with when using the Hornady XTP .452 250? I have some Knight Hi Pressure sabots and when shooting this load with 100 gr T7 ffg at 100 yards the Best I can do is 5". Im shooting a Disc Elite though.

omega load

in my omega i use, 85 weighed grains (= to about 105 volume grains) of pinnacle 3f loose powder. i use t/c 250 grn. superglide shockwaves. i also use a variflame primer adapter that allows me to use cci small rifle primers. off a bench i get 1 inch groups at 100 yds.

How does the Omega do with some of the larger sabots in the 300 gr size range... say the Expander, Shockwave or XTP?

fairchase said:
How does the Omega do with some of the larger sabots in the 300 gr size range... say the Expander, Shockwave or XTP?

Oh man will it flat out shoot with 300gr SSTs and 100gr ffg Triple Se7en!

fairchase

I elk hunt with Omega, both during the regular rifle season and ML season when we get a Elk hunting ML season... and I shoot .458 Nosler Partitions 300 grain Protected points... They work and shoot real well... 100 grain T7-2f loose. The 300 grain Noslers while they will certainly take a Whitetail - they are in and out of a deer before they get a lot of expansion - they penetrate so well That's why I shift to 260 grain HP's for deer.

But so do the .452 Speer Gold Dots... they really work well and have a decent BC, in fact i keep thinking I want 6x6 to check the BC for me since they changed the bullet... It mushrooms out just like Speer shows.

You might take the time to look at these two strings...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1794250

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1791957

Like said above 100grs. loose,or 2 pellets,and any quality bullet/sabot combination will get ya right in there. :D

sabotloader
Great info thank you.
I'm looking for a rifle that will toss a big sabot with a 100+ grain loose 777 charge for elk and even bigger game. The omega sounds like it will make the short list. Also on my list is the Savage even though smokless isn't my thing, I know it's stout and I like it's 1-24 twist barrel.

fairchase

The Omega will work for anything in Idaho, especially with the Nosler Partitions - well maybe I wouldn't be to excited about using it for Grizzly - i guess we have some of them now...

1/24 twist... My White Ultra Mag has a 1/24 it shoots sabots really well as well as conicals... up to 600 grains - i think that is Doc's favorite... These white are as strong as they come...

Might look at his site see if he has anything that might interest you... He is just south of you in Utah.

www.whitemuzzleloading.com

Latest posts

Back