Fouling shot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flati

Reaction score
How do you guys go about firing a fouling shot prior to hunting with a clean ML? I tried shooting a few (25 grains) of 777 without a patch or bullet but didnt quite seem like enough, what do you guys do?

With the advent of BH209, I simply fire a round. Usually from a previous range session or hunt.

Prior to BH209, I would fire a naked sabot with 50gr of T7 the morning of the hunt. It was pretty quiet and the neighbors never complained ;)

Sure is nice not having to clean the rifle after a hunt... That reminds me, I need to clean my rifle :)

Nimrod way is fine with BH the only other way I know [the way I do it] I experiment with different cleaners and oil until I can get the gun to shoot in the group this takes some time and effort and can vary some from gun to gun. Lee

Where we hunt, we stay in a mobile home on our land. Our hunting starts right out the back door. In fact, last week my dad saw a nice 10 pointer from the window in the back bedroom!(unfortunately, it was antlerless only season). So a fouling shot for me would be very detrimental to our hunting. I've found that 3 primers fired off, then wet patch and dry patch gives me enough fouling to make the first one hit with the others. Interesting thing about my Sidekick, it is actually harder to load with a perfectly clean barrel than it is when fouled.

I've had great luck cleaning my bore out with a few wet patches of rubbing alcohol, follow up with 3 dry patches, then let it sit for a few hours buttstock down and air dry (usually prep the night before a hunt) then fire 3 primers against a loosly set rod & patch. I've done this before target sessions too & have noticed more than acceptable accuracy from the first shot without worrying about fouling first. Hope this helps.

better accuracy

why is it better to shoot with a fouled barrel how does this improve accuracy ????????????????????????

Because a fouled bore is free of oils and solvents assuring your point of aim is where you left it at the range. Unless you completely clean your bore between shots it is the easiest way to ensure your first shot accuracy.

I never do a fouling shot. Never have . I guess I'm lucky , I don't need to.

So if I swab the barrel with a high percentage (91%) alcohol swab this will be the same as fouling the bore with a shot? Should I follow with a dry patch or a spit patch? I plan to hit the woods in a day or so and the gun is now spotless.

What powder are you shooting? If you have not gone through this ritual before then I would suggest a fouling load.

If you are using 777 loose, I would recommend you shoot a fouling load the night before or the morning you go out. However, if you already know where your clean bore shoots on the first shot than a fouling load is not needed.

If I can see through the breech plug should I just load it up for the mornings hunt or should I at least remove the plug, clean it thoroughly and reinstall?

Leave the breach plug.. snap one or 2 209's without a powdercharge to ensure no oil is in the flash channel prior to loading your hunting load..

Back