Free hand practice needed

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by James Sparhawk, Jan 26, 2020.

Modern Muzzleloader

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

1. Jan 26, 2020 #1

James Sparhawk

James Sparhawk

James Sparhawk

I've got to try different stances with my free hand shooting to become more stable. Top four shots are free hand and the center group is 5 shots resting. This was with my Lyman Great Plains, 60 grains Goex 3f, water&dawn .015 wet patch, .498 cast ball. I can shoot continuously without wiping between shots using the "dipped in water & dawn dish soap " method. After last Saturday's match (20 shots) I was able to clean my rifle with a couple strokes of my brush and 4 patches. The 5th patch was white. Yes, I am sold on this method. Today, I even loaded my loading block for the above "rested" group. I suggest all round ball shooters to try this method for themselves. I am glad I am open minded and listen to my elders. I just measured it and its 1 inch center to center. Not bad at all for primitive sights. I love my true shooting rifle.
    20200126_183537.jpg

2. Jan 27, 2020 #2

D55

D55

D55

That's good off-hand shooting.

Ninering62 and Sideshow like this.
  3. Jan 27, 2020 #3

Willfish4fud

Willfish4fud

Willfish4fud

Can u give specifics on water n dawn method? Interested

Sideshow likes this.
  4. Jan 27, 2020 #4

jsmuddydogs

jsmuddydogs

jsmuddydogs

At the range I frequent there is a steel plate at 100 yards about the size of a center of mass target. It doesn't matter what I'm shooting I always pop a few rounds at the plate off hand before I leave the range. Could be with a muzzy, center fire rifle, pistol, iron sites or scope. Anymore I tend to hit the plate way more then I miss even shooting mouse fart cast loads out of my lever action 30/30 or old 54 Russian.
    The practice paid off this year when I took a 220 yard off hand shot at a bull elk across a small drainage when he stepped out of the oak brush into a small opening. Perfect double lung shot, didn't even hit a rib going in or coming out.

LR_Smoker, michiganmuzzy, D55 and 2 others like this.
  5. Jan 27, 2020 #5

Sideshow

Sideshow

Sideshow

Beautiful !!!

Ninering62 likes this.
  6. Jan 27, 2020 #6

MrTom

MrTom

MrTom

I can shoot out to 300 yards on a steel gong but haven't tried it. Maybe this summer. I do shoot at 150 a couple times just about every time I am at the club so I know what I need to do should a shot out that far comes along. These 150 yards pokes are done using a side support post, semi-off-hand just because its about as close to what I'll find in the woods. I do ok at 150 from that sort of "rest". Just not super comfortable. The last fall I had a shot in clear woods, terribly steep downhill at what I figured was 165 yards and had to be taken totally off-hand. Heart and both lungs. When the nephew showed up after the shot his range finder said 167-168 to where the deer stood. I've never pulled a shot like that off in all my years of hunting. Most of my shots are inside of 25 yards, maybe out to 45.

LR_Smoker, Sideshow and NatureNick like this.
  7. Jan 27, 2020 #7

Sideshow

Sideshow

Sideshow

You did good !!!!

8. Jan 27, 2020 #8

James Sparhawk

James Sparhawk

James Sparhawk

Just have you a small container with a drop of dawn and an ounce of water. submerge your ball patch in it just for a half second, remove and shake off the access. load your gun with the wet patch and ball. when you fire it, it takes the fowling with it. I can shoot continuously without wiping between shots, without any loading difficulty, not accuracy effects. I even load my loading block with the wet patches and balls and can shoot all 5 before they dry.

michiganmuzzy and 50calsabot like this.
  9. Jan 28, 2020 #9

Willfish4fud

Willfish4fud

Willfish4fud

Draft saved Draft deleted