Front sight for low light hunting.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wanted to get an idea what you guys like to use for your front sights for hunting. Particularly in low light conditions. I've had to give up on front blade type and black steel. They seem to disappear in low light situations. Such as at dawn, dusk, heavy canopy or hunting out of a ground blind.
I will start hunting with rear peep sight next season for the first time and plan on using a .04 fiber optic front sight(green).
What say you?

Really works for me and really gives me a good contrast on the target

Green-Fiber.jpg

This shows how it really lights up - not this good in low light but it still collects light

Excess-Tape.jpg

Really works for me and really gives me a good contrast on the target

Green-Fiber.jpg

This shows how it really lights up - not this good in low light but it still collects light

Excess-Tape.jpg
Are you using a rear peep sight or open sight.
Does the hood around your front sight help aid in sighting or is it just for protection?

Are you using a rear peep sight or open sight.
Does the hood around your front sight help aid in sighting or is it just for protection?

I am using a rear peep - I am far better off with the peep versus the open buck horn type rear sight.

I am using the Williams FP peep but you will need a sight built for you rifle.

Down-Range.jpg

What I would suggest for your rifle is a Lyman SML peep. It is really a good sight 1/4 min clicks and a quick release so you can adjust up and down rapidly.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brand...-sights/lyman-57sml-and-57gpr-receiver-sights
**** there is a problem installing on a TC - you will probably need to modify the wood on the stock to allow the sight to set down along side the stock.

TC-Renegade.jpg

If you look closely at the wood area behind the sight on the left side you can see where hollowed (sanded) out a portion to allow the sight to seat over the side of the stock.

Thompson Center makes one also - but it is what I call a slide and glide type sight. You loosen a screw and move the sight.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005964012
Of course there are other Tang sights available also - so you will have to do some searching.

With the hood in place and looking through the peep sight - it really presents the illusion that you are looking through a 1X scope - which I really like!!!

So for your question - yes it aids in sighting and protection. In the snow it will/could allow snow to drop in on the front sight so you need to keep it clear - I just blow it out.

mike

I think the red front fiber optic gives more contrast than green.

Thanks for the reply Sabotloader.
I recently installed the Lyman 57SML rear peep sights on (2) of my Renegade stocks. One of them is on the SS Renegade I recently purchased from you. Idaholewis gave me good instructions on how to install them.
I have a Lyman front globe sight along with Lee Shaver's inserts I was going to install. I decided not to install it based on I am more of a hunter, not a target shooter per say. I am more worried about seeing the front sight in low light situations. I guess I am just trying to figure out what front sight to use along with my rear peep that will give me good accuracy out to 200 yds and still be visible when I need it.
I think I might have it figured out with the green .04 fiber rod but would love to get ideas from others who have more experience than me.
I like the idea of your hood with the fiber rod. Wondering if I can get one for the octagon barrel that takes the smaller .04 fiber optic rod.

If you go with the Lyman 57SML, This is the Mod I Advise you do to the Base of the Sight, Removing Wood from the Wrist of your Stock is the LAST thing i would do

This is a Simple Process, i do it with a Dremel Tool and Sanding Wheel, takes about 2 Minutes
DSFIptil.jpg

cMOaN0Zl.jpg

The Lyman 57SML will tend to “Lean forward”, I Shim the underside with Washers that fit the Width of the Tang
fO4OuFpl.jpg

Here you can see the “Forward Tilt” I’m talking about, Simply place a Straight of sorts on top of the Flat of the Sight Base, And ad/remove Washer Shims to take the “Forward tilt” out
8hniZDsl.jpg

To this
mHMAHbTl.jpg

Hey Lewis,
What front sights do you use when hunting with your sidelocks? Also can you see them in low light situations when it is still legal shooting light?

Hey Lewis,
What front sights do you use when hunting with your sidelocks? Also can you see them in low light situations when it is still legal shooting light?

Believe it or not, I don’t Hunt with a Muzzleloader o_O:D All of my Rifles that i shoot Seriously have Globe Front Sights on them. I have hunted with a Muzzleloader, and i have killed an Elk, and a Deer the 2 times i did hunt with a Muzzleloader, But My true enjoyment with my Muzzleloaders is Bench/Target Shooting them, From 50 Yards to 1,000 and Beyond if i can find it. When it comes to Deer Hunting, i prefer a Scoped Centerfire. They Don’t give us any Special Muzzleloader Only type Hunts up here where i live, to speak of anyway. Most of that is WAY WAY Down south of me, 400-600 Miles. I don’t Travel and stay away from Home well, I prefer my Bed :lewis: Therefore I don’t put in for Tags down there. We have a little 1 Week Cow Elk ONLY season here in Dec, But Our Elk have been beat up so Badly up here that I would feel Guilty Killing one anymore, I didn’t Buy an Elk Tag Last year, and No plans to Buy one this year.

I followed Lew's method of using brass washers under my Lyman aperture sight and it worked like a charm! I also replaced the red fiber optic with a green one and love it! Green shows up first in the early morning hours and the last to fade away at dusk. I also used the tip of a glue gun to melt the ends of the fiber optic pin so it doesn't slide out.

I followed Lew's method of using brass washers under my Lyman aperture sight and it worked like a charm! I also replaced the red fiber optic with a green one and love it! Green shows up first in the early morning hours and the last to fade away at dusk. I also used the tip of a glue gun to melt the ends of the fiber optic pin so it doesn't slide out.
Yes Ed, you are right. I switched over to green based on your recommendation a while back. The green rods are much easier for me to see at dusk and dawn.(I know some other guys who swear by the red)
I was able to find some front sights that use the .04 fiber optic rods. The .06 where just too fat to shoot with any accuracy. I wish they made front sights that used even smaller rods. Like a .019.
How far do you feel comfortable shooting with your set up?

I'm running a Williams fiber optic "ghost ring" set up on my renegade. I found it on ebay. It is basically a rear peep in the factory rear sight location and then a post style front. The peep has green dots on each side and the front post is red, like in the link below for a Remmington.

https://www.amazon.com/Williams-Rem...ring+sights&qid=1593446096&sr=8-4&tag=mh0b-20

I also feel green shows up the best in low light. I've had green, yellow, and red on multiple archery sights over the years and I can just flat see green the best.

When I still bow hunted I used green tritium sights. They were super in low light and didn't cast an "aura" round the dot itself...nice crisp green micro-dot.

It's easy enough to replace that Red Fiber Optic Pin. Just snip it off, insert a Green one, use the tip of a glue gun, (Naturally it has to be hot) for a second or two and you're set. How do you adjust that rear ghost ring? What I do in the early morning or dusk is hunt without the aperture that I'm using and my Lyman or Williams Peep sight becomes a Ghost Ring. Removing the aperture does not change the point of impact.

The link wasn't quite accurate on my set up, my ghost rear site is adjustable. Here's a better pic of what I have.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...429EA11D611603A5E5&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0
I've thought about trying to modify about a .019" bowsight F.O. and install it on my front post, I'd love to have a smaller reference than what it has now. I use even smaller .010" pins on my bow and have no issues with them picking up enough light. I've had many occasions in the timber in early morning light where I can see the .010" green pin just fine but can't see the body of the elk I'm trying to hold it on with enough detail to feel good about shooting. The light back in the timber, even after legal shooting time, is so low that the elk's body is just a dark blob that you can't make out the shoulder line on, yet the pin is plenty visible.

The link wasn't quite accurate on my set up, my ghost rear site is adjustable. Here's a better pic of what I have.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...429EA11D611603A5E5&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0
I've thought about trying to modify about a .019" bowsight F.O. and install it on my front post, I'd love to have a smaller reference than what it has now. I use even smaller .010" pins on my bow and have no issues with them picking up enough light. I've had many occasions in the timber in early morning light where I can see the .010" green pin just fine but can't see the body of the elk I'm trying to hold it on with enough detail to feel good about shooting. The light back in the timber, even after legal shooting time, is so low that the elk's body is just a dark blob that you can't make out the shoulder line on, yet the pin is plenty visible.

I have thought the EXACT Same thing, I would Really like to See a Teeny Tiny .010 to .019 Fiber Optic front Bead. That would interest me in trying a Bead, The larger available Beads, even the 1/16 Don’t interest me, I am Spoiled with these Fine Shaver BPCR inserts in my Globes, a Regular Bead Front Sight Looks like a Car parked on the end of my Barrel 😄 NO JOKE! I simply can’t shoot a Regular Bead sight

Yes Ed, you are right. I switched over to green based on your recommendation a while back. The green rods are much easier for me to see at dusk and dawn.(I know some other guys who swear by the red)
I was able to find some front sights that use the .04 fiber optic rods. The .06 where just too fat to shoot with any accuracy. I wish they made front sights that used even smaller rods. Like a .019.
How far do you feel comfortable shooting with your set up?
Hi HatchetJack, where did ya find the thin green front fiber optic sight? I have a TC Seneca that has a rear peep sight with a front blade sight with tiny white dot. I don't care for it & would really like to replace it with a very fine green FO. In fact, the rear peep sight, I've removed the cup piece bc it makes the hole too dang small for my degrading eyes & the LOP is abit awkward to place my chin weld & be able to line the sights up. I have to do way more than what I should just to bring my sight picture into focus period. I may just change it out to that rear ghost ring IdahoLewis has posted as well. I'm only concerned with shooting targets & critters ( NO DEER ) out to 100yds, zero @ 50yds. But I insist on pinpoint accuracy ( head shots) & bugholes. I'm still workin on a few diff loads & bullet weights & types in it. I love the heck outta the lil smokepole, but I have to make some changes to it. Hope ya got yours the way ya want it & it works how ya want it to. Kind regards

Latest posts

Back