Front sight for low light hunting.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi HatchetJack, where did ya find the thin green front fiber optic sight? I have a TC Seneca that has a rear peep sight with a front blade sight with tiny white dot. I don't care for it & would really like to replace it with a very fine green FO. In fact, the rear peep sight, I've removed the cup piece bc it makes the hole too dang small for my degrading eyes & the LOP is abit awkward to place my chin weld & be able to line the sights up. I have to do way more than what I should just to bring my sight picture into focus period. I may just change it out to that rear ghost ring IdahoLewis has posted as well. I'm only concerned with shooting targets & critters ( NO DEER ) out to 100yds, zero @ 50yds. But I insist on pinpoint accuracy ( head shots) & bugholes. I'm still workin on a few diff loads & bullet weights & types in it. I love the heck outta the lil smokepole, but I have to make some changes to it. Hope ya got yours the way ya want it & it works how ya want it to. Kind regards
Here are a couple of sights I have bought that take a .04 fiber rod.

https://www.rangerpointstore.com/fiber-optic-front-sights
https://rmcoxyoke.com/product/rmc-aim-right-front-sights/

As stated in Hatchet Jacks Link above, Use a lighter or match to slightly melt a Ball on the end of Fiber optic, I’ve been doing this with Archery Fiber optic Pins for years. I Personally wouldn’t trust Glue, it will eventually Give up. A slightly melted end CAN’T Slip back through

A lighter or match will definitely do the job. Me, I'm afraid I'll overdo it and burn the fiber optic too much. That's why I use a glue gun without the glue. Just get it heated and place the tip against both ends until it slightly melts the fiber optic rod to hold it in place.

I have thought the EXACT Same thing, I would Really like to See a Teeny Tiny .010 to .019 Fiber Optic front Bead. That would interest me in trying a Bead, The larger available Beads, even the 1/16 Don’t interest me, I am Spoiled with these Fine Shaver BPCR inserts in my Globes, a Regular Bead Front Sight Looks like a Car parked on the end of my Barrel 😄 NO JOKE! I simply can’t shoot a Regular Bead sight
Lewis, I agree. That is why I am trying to reduce the size of my front sight. With a .06 fiber optic rod it is almost impossible for me to shoot at anything with accuracy when getting upwards of 100 yds or more.
I wish I had the means and the know how to create a durable front sight with .010 or .019 fiber rods.
Out of curiosity I was wondering which Shavers insert you usually use to shoot long distance. Can you post a picture of it?

Last edited:
Lewis, I agree. That is why I am trying to reduce the size of my front sight. With a .06 fiber optic rod it is almost impossible for me to shoot at anything with accuracy when getting upwards of 100 yds or more.
I wish I had the means an know how to create a durable front sight with .010 or .019 fiber rods.
Out of curiosity I was wondering which Shavers insert you usually use to shoot long distance. Can you post a picture of it?

For Targets I am shooting Circle inserts, it Comes down to a Matching Game, Notice i am ALWAYS shooting a Round Bullseye? That is so i can Match my Circle insert inside my Front Globe sight to that Bullseye. No matter what the Distance is, I keep swapping through my Circle inserts until i hit the Size that gives me the Sight Picture i am looking for :lewis: This is how they Shoot to 1,000 Yards and Beyond with Peep Sights. The Few times i have Hunted with my Muzzleloaders, i use the Little Beads (Left Side, Bottom left. There is 1 even Smaller than that one) Talk about a Finr bead, they are REALLY FINE :lewis: I can actually Hold on a Milk Jug at 100 Yards with these Beads, and Stil see the Outside Edges. These Fine BPCR inserts is where it’s at!! There is NO WAY I could shoot as well as i do without these, NO WAY POSSIBLE!! My Eyesight is actually Poor

t3lZHJzl.jpg

Here I explain it

Here are the Fine Beads.

The 1 on the Right is what Comes with the Lyman Globes, The insert Set that Comes with the Lyman Globes are 💩 Compared to the Lee Shavers Fine BPCR inserts, NO COMPARISON!! These are the COOLEST Open Sights/Peeps sights i have ever Seen, The BIG PROBLEM is Low light, they Disappear. Part of the Problem is the Globe front sight itself, It is a Dark Tunnel

UwoVmD7.jpg

Very informative Lewis. Thanks for the pics and video.

You would be amazed at just how accurate you can get with this Sight Set up, It is the CLOSEST thing to a Scope that you can get. I can shoot this System almost as well as a Scope, in Good lighting :lewis:

When you think about the Guy’s Shooting Open/Peep sights to 1,000 Yards and Beyond, Without knowing better, you immediately Think BULL 💩!! But when you see this Sight System for yourself, You understand how it’s Possible :lewis:

I know I’ve showed this Before, and it’s OLD, But it’s pretty Darn amazing when you really think about it, This is Buffalo Arms owner, and Friend of Mine, Dave Gullo, He is Shooting the Steel White Buffalo Target at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton New Mexico. Dave said this Target was Over 1,100 Yards here, i think he said 1,163 Yards? It was a D@MN Long ways!! With Peep Sights, and a Circle insert in his Globe :)

When i bought my Lee Shaver Long Range Sight Setup, I Bought it directly from Lee. I asked him What his Best Group was at 1,000 Yards? He told me 5 Shots in 8” inches. This Sight system works, that‘s for sure :)

That said, This is probably the Worst sight system i can think of for Low Light Hunting. Like I’ve said before, One of the BIGGEST Problems is the Globe itself, You are trying to look through a DARK TUNNEL out on the End of your Barrel,

There have been attempts at making Fiber optic Type inserts to go in the Globes, And while they Could Help, The Fiber Optic is gonna Struggle inside that DARK TUNNEL Globe, as They Rely on outside light gathering. The other option we have discussed before is a Natural Glow type light source, Again, this might help Some? But I can also see something like this Being a Distraction if it was to Bright.
kbeQoOul.jpg

HhsF6svl.jpg

It is my opinion for a Low light (ANY lighting for that Matter) HUNTING Sight, that a guy would be MUCH better off WITHOUT a Globe, or Hooded Style front Sight, UNLESS it was like the Knight Rifles Hood with a Large Cutout Window in the Top to let light in

Like this, (I believe this is Sabotloader’s Picture? I‘m stealing it here :)) in my opinion This is probably the BEST Thing going for a Hooded front HUNTING Sight, This is what i would want :lewis: Either this Style Hood with The Cutout Window In the Top, or NO HOOD/GLOBE at all
JpszPhSl.jpg

Last edited:
I've been wondering if a 3/8 dovetail front blade sight could be modified to accept a .010 F.O. rod by a machine shop. It would have to be one of the fairly wide ones, something similar to this.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...14882E498C60BC89A7&selectedIndex=7&ajaxhist=0
Take it to a machine shop along with a .010" F.O. rod and have them drill a hole front to back near the top of the sight to snugly accept the F.O. rod. Then machine out a decent notch between the front and back of the sight that leaves the top of the drilled hole open, so the F.O. rod can receive light like in Lew's pic above. Round of the corners and shape it a bit better. Then just apply a bit of heat to each end so the rod can't come out.

Very very cool, I would rate your sight almost with a Swiss or German Diopter . I have a Gehmann 2X Diopter on a center fire that is as good or better than a low power scope . Not for hunting. Target only

Not being critical, but could be a little delicate for a hunting rifle with the globe being open on top; Would be very careful if carrying thru brush . No open globe no light gathering (problem)

Latest posts

Back