Full Bore or Sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward.penny

Reaction score
Full bore or sabot and why? I know a lot of people use each I'm just asking for opinions on which would be best for deer out to 150 yards.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

Full bore appeals to me because as a caster avoiding the sabot is a cost savings.

Shoot a few deer with a big heavy conical and you will see why a lot of us prefer big lead, they are perfect for out to 150 yds and beyond if you learn your trajectory..usually leave massive blood trails and hit like a huge hammer.

ENCORE50A said:
There are .50cal full bore bullets being made now that are EXCELLENT for exactly what you're asking. They're also selling like hot cakes so many are using them. Very reasonable cost wise and from personal experience I can tell you, they'll put the hammer of Thor on a whitetail.

Check out the 325gr Fury star tip: http://www.furycustombullets.com/webapp ... zle-loader
My experience with Fury bullets this season is that they certainly do put the hammer on deer. 3 deer at 90 yd and 1 at 70 and the only distance they went after the hit was to the ground. Superbly accurate and great terminal performance. Dennis knows how to build a bullet!

All depends on the rifle and powder used. In something like a Wolverine i would use a lead conical if i wanted to go full bore. The Fury 275gr might be worth trying but with a powder that leaves lots of fouling you better be careful. Get too much fouling just once and you will have a hammer down in the bore.

Rifles that are BH209 friendly wont have nearly as much of a problem as long as bullet sizing is correct. There are also bores that are not as even the entire length. All it takes is about .0005 too much and you got a problem with jacketed sabotless. My Pacnor 45 is right on .450 and a .4505 bullet is a hammer down. A .449 bullet knurled up to .452ish is no problem. So sizing is critical with jacketed sabotless.

Lead is way more forgiving unless you got a nasty crud ring. Ive loaded .002 over land lead conicals with ease but with dirty powders you are better off at .001 max or slip fit.

Yep, pretty much any 100gr load retains enough energy at 100yds+ for a ethical deer load. Using heavy lead is just cheaper and needs less powder. I love my little "plinker" load of 70grV BH209 and a 350gr lead conical in my 45cals. At 100 yards that load has more energy than a 44Mag at the muzzle and about 900ftbs at 150yds.

Using a .211 BC
2t7g8tT.png

Full bore lead is the only experience i have, I don’t know anything about Sabots? But i can assure you from hands on experience that Full Bore lead is DEADLY, it carries it’s energy. Both elk Killed this year with my Bullets were Pass through’s, Elk are BIG Animals, Not so much mine this year (yearling Cow) But my friends was a Full Grown Cow

My main intent for the plinker load was for hunting a wildlife refuge during a lottery hunt. Over 100 hunters are selected for about 6k acres plus all the yahoos that feel the need to use the trails during the 2 day hunt. I wanted a load with a lower chance ending up somewhere it should not be. This load excels for this and its very pleasant to shoot also. Cuts the BH209 cost nearly in half vs my sabotless or sabot jacketed loads.

You can see on the graph that load is basically aim and shoot out to 125yrds with a 100 yard zero. No hold over or guess work.

GM54-120 said:
My main intent for the plinker load was for hunting a wildlife refuge during a lottery hunt. Over 100 hunters are selected for about 6k acres plus all the yahoos that feel the need to use the trails during the 2 day hunt. I wanted a load with a lower chance ending up somewhere it should not be. This load excels for this and its very pleasant to shoot also. Cuts the BH209 cost nearly in half vs my sabotless or sabot jacketed loads.

You can see on the graph that load is basically aim and shoot out to 125yrds with a 100 yard zero. No hold over or guess work.

Looks just like my graph with 70 grV T7 3f and Ed's 350gr Gould's Express. My White loves that load.

Same bullet, im just using BH209 so fps might be a tad more than 1400fps. The BC is my best guess based on the Sierra 300gr FNHP which is rated at .210@1400fps. Eds bullet looks a little more aerodynamic than the Sierra. Even at .195 BC those numbers are very close.

Being a bit recoil shy, I prefer sabots over big lead. Unfortunately, Idaho requires all lead, full caliber for ML. Also, some guys here have achieved phenomenal accuracy with big lead, but not wanting to go over 435 grains, I have yet to crack that code. When hunting in Oklahoma, my 54 cal MK-85 produces minute of angle groups with any of the half dozen sabots I've tried. Easy. I've settled on 260 grain, as being big enough to do the job. And with 90 grains (by volume) of Pyrodex producing the best groups, its a pleasure to shoot. For ease of getting good accuracy, I'd recommend sabots. Unless you are going for elk, like Idaholewis. Then, I'd say bigger is better, and recoil is part of the game.

O T preacher said:
I've always shot sabots in my Encore 50. What would be a good start to try full bores in my rifle?
If your encore has the QLA then it may or may not shoot full bore bullets very well. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

herschel conyers said:
O T preacher said:
I've always shot sabots in my Encore 50. What would be a good start to try full bores in my rifle?
If your encore has the QLA then it may or may not shoot full bore bullets very well. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Correct, if the QLA was poorly machined they wont shoot worth a darn.

With sabots Ed would be able to turn a 50 caliber into a skwirel rifle so that would be a good thing der.

I know one time I shot my 350gr HP Gould Bullets with Harvester Crush Rib sabots in my 50 cal Lyman Flintlock DeerStalker and got great results with it at 50 yds. I didn't measure the group, but it was good enough to go deer hunting with that year. Unfortunately, the deer did not cooperate. :cry:

Have only used sabots in my gun. Xtp 300 gr with harvester ribbed sabot and 290gr Barnes tez currently. Gun loves them both.

Think I'm going to order a sizing kit from Thor and see how my gun likes them

Back