Fury 300g LT -- 80g Blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_4839.JPG

Dennis Kautz provided this bullet. Actual weight is 300.1 grain.

IMG_4840.JPG

IMG_4841.JPG

It is 25 yard between the rifle, and the bottles.

IMG_4843.JPG

The bullet totally smucked the first two bottles, went through the third bottle, bounced off the fourth bottle to the ground about ten feet to the right of horse.

IMG_4845.JPG

IMG_4846.JPG

IMG_4844.JPG

IMG_4847.JPG

That's a remarkable difference in expansion between 50 grains by volume of BH209 and 80 grains by volume of BH209.

Thanks Ron,

So it was moving around 1500-1600 FPS at Impact I would guess. I'm planning on using the Fury Star Tip 2 for an Elk hunt this year and was thinking making a change based on the previous results. I wonder where we cross the line from expansion to no expansion? Somewhere between 1500 and 1000 it appears?

Photo shows changes in bullet after being fired.

IMG_4856.JPG

IMG_4859.JPG

Top photo shows the unfired bullet next to the bullet shot using 80 grain Blackhorn powder. Bottom photo shows bullet fired using 50 grain Blackhorn powder next to bullet fired using 80 grain Blackhorn powder. It appears the 80 grain charge significantly cupped the heel of the bullet.

This shooting bullets without sabot sure is interesting; quite educational. Don't really know if it is meaningful, but it certainly is fun, and easy to do.

Based on BH209 data. The average MV of all the 300gr projectiles with 80grV is 1643fps.

The bullet certainly looks good at 25 yards - but, I have a real concern about performance at greater ranges when the velocity drops below 13-1400fps. Further, even with 80 gr Vol (I think all of Ron's tests are Volume he really never says) @ 25 I surely would expect more penetration depth. I think Ron recently tested a 250 grain version of the bullet at 25 and I was also not impressed with that one either.

Mike, this bullet did better than the 300 Deep Curl of which you always speak highly.

That sorts of sets me back... I thought for sure the Deep Curl would expand at a lower velocity.

I know for a fact that I got expansion and pass through at 150 yards,

These were shot and recovered @100 yards with a 100 gr. T7 by vol.

Gold-Dot-Performance.jpg

Over the years this collection of Deep Curl bullets was accumulated. Rifle used was probably an Omega X7, probably.

P1000740.JPG

Been so long ago; am not sure what the load was. Thinking the short range load was 105 grain Blackhorn, crush rib sabot, W209 primer. The 200 yard, and 300 yard loads may have been 110 grain Blackhorn, could have been 105 grain, but don't think so.

Photo shows changes in bullet after being fired.

IMG_4856.JPG

IMG_4859.JPG

Top photo shows the unfired bullet next to the bullet shot using 80 grain Blackhorn powder. Bottom photo shows bullet fired using 50 grain Blackhorn powder next to bullet fired using 80 grain Blackhorn powder. It appears the 80 grain charge significantly cupped the heel of the bullet.

This shooting bullets without sabot sure is interesting; quite educational. Don't really know if it is meaningful, but it certainly is fun, and easy to do.
Striking how much deeper the rifling is engraved as well as the cupped base. Definitely the powder charge difference obturation of the bullet. Be interesting to see the accuracy difference In the two loads. Bettin the 80 grain is more accurate. Love the tests Ron.
P.M. me your address and I’ll send you a handful of my Snovers to test if you’d like... Probably won’t expand much without hitting something harder than a plastic bottle first, but, you never know...

Over the years this collection of Deep Curl bullets was accumulated. Rifle used was probably an Omega X7, probably.

P1000740.JPG

Been so long ago; am not sure what the load was. Thinking the short range load was 105 grain Blackhorn, crush rib sabot, W209 primer. The 200 yard, and 300 yard loads may have been 110 grain Blackhorn, could have been 105 grain, but don't think so.

Searched forum back to 2011. Found some written for sure information.

Rifle used for all shoots was indeed the X7. The powder charge used at 45 feet was indeed 105g Blackhorn. The powder charge used at 200 yard was 115g Blackhorn. The powder charge used at 300 yard was 110g Blackhorn. At 300 yard the first three shots were misses. The fourth shot was the charm.

Neither the 200, or 300 yard bullet was found right away. The 200 yard bullet was found after snow melted, later that day. Finding the 300 yard bullet was serendipitous,
days later.

Mike, this bullet did better than the 300 Deep Curl of which you always speak highly.

Ron,
Respectfully, how did you come to that conclusion? By comparison, I would say both bullets were about as equal as they could get. I would actually give the edge to the Deep Curl as it seems to have been 100% weight retention, larger expansion, and same penetration.

.........how did you come to that conclusion?........
My fault..............you work from incomplete data.

Both bullets bounced off the fourth bottle. However this bullet blew a hole in the fourth bottle; ruined it. The Deep Curl left the fourth bottle intact.

Hence, this bullet did more damage, leading to my conclusion.

My fault; presented incomplete information.

IMG_4839.JPG

Dennis Kautz provided this bullet. Actual weight is 300.1 grain.

IMG_4840.JPG

IMG_4841.JPG

It is 25 yard between the rifle, and the bottles.

IMG_4843.JPG

The bullet totally smucked the first two bottles, went through the third bottle, bounced off the fourth bottle to the ground about ten feet to the right of horse.

IMG_4845.JPG

IMG_4846.JPG

IMG_4844.JPG

IMG_4847.JPG
HECK YEAH thats what I'm talkin about. Now THATS A PERFORMING BULLET I'D GLADLY USE! Thank you for doing all this & in what appears to me to be done in all fairness. Well done & thank you.

I know this is an old post, but can anyone share field experience with this bullet on elk? Range and load and barrel length or velocity would be appreciated. I'd also like to know if it achieved complete penetration. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back