Fury 50 caliber Star Tip Mz

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_4776.JPG

A while ago an order for some 50 caliber bullets, and a 50 caliber sizer was placed with Fury Custom Bullets. The order arrived here yesterday. Set up the sizer, and sized some of the bullets so they would be ready to shoot this morning.

Brought an Omega rifle with a 4X scope. The load was 95g Blackhorn, vegetable fiber wad, 50cal 275g Fury Star Tip MZ, and Federal 209A primer. Ignition seemed good, but dang, the bullet went through the paper sidewise. Loaded up again, but this time used two wads. Dang, the bullet went through the paper sidewise again.................Target was only at 25 yard. The shooter was quite sad, and started picking up, with the intention of giving up, and heading home. Then a new thought came. Wondered if there might be a sabot somewhere like between the seats, or maybe behind the seats. Searched around some, and by golly there were some sabot way inside between the seats. Dug the sabot out, and cut the petals off. Some sabot were green, some were black; some ribbed, and some smooth.

For the third shot the load was 95g Blackhorn, Sabot with petals cut off, 275g 50 cal Fury Star Tip Mz, and 209A primer. This bullet made a nice round hole. Scope was adjusted, and the target moved out to 94 yard, and three more shots made using the remaining sabot without petals instead of the vegetable wad.

IMG_4777.JPG

So what do you feel the difference is? Blow-by? Why did one out perform the other so well. Doesn't even make sense that what is under the bullet would make that big of a difference. Obviously it made a HUGE difference.

So what do you feel the difference is? Blow-by? Why did one out perform the other so well. Doesn't even make sense that what is under the bullet would make that big of a difference. Obviously it made a HUGE difference.
Will try poly wad, and perhaps learn more about this stuff.

Did you size them to a clean bore?
What was the approximate loading force in a clean bore? One hand or two?
loaded first shot on clean bore; following shots on fouled bore.

Have used this sizer from Fury less than a day. For initial loading, it was set by pushing bullets out the breech with some difficulty. Then bullets were sized 1 mark smaller, before powder was placed. Then when the powder was placed, the bullet was sized one mark smaller again, to avoid struggle. Then when the loading of the bullet was felt, the rest of the bullets were sized a half mark smaller.

Every bullet loaded was done with two hands. However no bullet was loaded with undue difficulty. Never do swab between shots.

Wouldn't want bullets to load harder than what they are. Don't enjoy loading too tight bullets; will not do so intentionallly. Loading force feels about perfect right now. Don't want it harder, easier might be OK.

Will pursue poly wads for a tighter fit.

Odd...….
I shot a boat load of those in my 50cal with a .518" x .060" veggie wad, using charges of 120grs + volume. They loaded at 20# in a clean bore, but I swabbed between rounds. Even after swabbing they were tighter, although easy loading with two hands.

IMG_4776.JPG

A while ago an order for some 50 caliber bullets, and a 50 caliber sizer was placed with Fury Custom Bullets. The order arrived here yesterday. Set up the sizer, and sized some of the bullets so they would be ready to shoot this morning.

Brought an Omega rifle with a 4X scope. The load was 95g Blackhorn, vegetable fiber wad, 50cal 275g Fury Star Tip MZ, and Federal 209A primer. Ignition seemed good, but dang, the bullet went through the paper sidewise. Loaded up again, but this time used two wads. Dang, the bullet went through the paper sidewise again.................Target was only at 25 yard. The shooter was quite sad, and started picking up, with the intention of giving up, and heading home. Then a new thought came. Wondered if there might be a sabot somewhere like between the seats, or maybe behind the seats. Searched around some, and by golly there were some sabot way inside between the seats. Dug the sabot out, and cut the petals off. Some sabot were green, some were black; some ribbed, and some smooth.

For the third shot the load was 95g Blackhorn, Sabot with petals cut off, 275g 50 cal Fury Star Tip Mz, and 209A primer. This bullet made a nice round hole. Scope was adjusted, and the target moved out to 94 yard, and three more shots made using the remaining sabot without petals instead of the vegetable wad.

IMG_4777.JPG
95 gr weight or volume ? My experience has been that if you don’t hit the base of the bullet hard enough it won’t obturate to fill the rifling and your groups will suffer. If you don’t mind the recoil I would suggest upping the charge because those bullets shoot in my 1/28 & 1/26 twist barrels but you have to get above 2100 fps.

Good thinking Ron, i am quite curious if the seal created by sabot base vs a veggie wad will increase velocity. It obviously sealed better. D

WOOL WAD

Since the vegetable fiber wad didn't work so good; a wool wad was tried this morning. Load was same as OP aside from wad change to wool. 95g Blackhorn, wool wad, 275g Fury Star Tip MZ, 209A primer. OP neglected to mention the breech plug used in the Omega is Bestill', which provides a perfect seal/ignition..

Shot once at 25 yard at top target, in spite of windy conditions. Good thing was, the target was located in a narrow drainage which kinda slowed the wind. Hole in paper looked good so moved out to 100 yard, and shot 3 more times at bottom target.

IMG_4791.JPG

Seemed too windy to try further, but sometimes one hates to quit. Moved target out to 171 yard. Kinda as far as it could go in the location. Taped over the hole made at 25 yard, and shot 5 more shots out there in the wind at top target.

IMG_4794.JPG

All 5 shots made nice round holes in paper; last three shots got kinda close. Wool worked good this morning.

Good shoot'n!
Just a wad change and it shoots great, go figure.
I ordered some wool wads that should be here tomorrow. I hope the weather will change...…...

Knight Ultra-Lite

This morning the 50 caliber Knight Ultra-Lite rifle came along instead of the Omega rifle. Load in the different rifle was basically the same. 95g Blackhorn, vegetable fiber wad, 275g Fury 50 caliber ST Mv bullet, W209 primer. Target was out 27 yard.

IMG_4807.JPG

Photo shows the bullet has a definite yaw

Changed the wad to a wool wad; same wool wad as used in the Omega rifle yesterday. With the target set out at 100 yard, three shots taken. Load is 95g Blackhorn, wool wad, 275g Fury 50 caliber ST Mz, Winchester W209 primer.

IMG_4805.JPG

Wad are 50 caliber. Loose enough so the weight of the ramrod took it to the powder.

IMG_4797.JPG

You might try a .54 caliber wool wad like Idaholewis uses. It might provide a better seal, and isn't that what BH209 requires for complete ignition & combustion?

It wouldn't hurt to try 54 caliber wool wad all right.

However, the issues here happen when using the vegetable fiber wads, not when using the 50 caliber wool wads. Ignition when using the wool wads seems to be perfect; kinda leads one to believe the wool wads are providing a good seal. Every time the fiber wads are tried, the bullets fly sidewise. Every time the 50 caliber wool wads are used, the bullets fly straight, and accurate.

Over the years since Blackhorn was available for purchase, many myths have emerged. The major problem with ignition of Blackhorn is poor breech plug design. Now that special Blackhorn breech plugs are available, ignition issues are minimal. However, the myths persist................

I gotta agree with the “myths” I’ve never had an issue with ignition using BH209 until I loaded up 70gnsV out of my White using a #11 cap, just to see.... it went off but it was more like a sparkler than a firecracker lol. No need to try that again.....

Latest posts

Back