Fury 50 caliber Star Tip Mz

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta agree with the “myths” I’ve never had an issue with ignition using BH209 until I loaded up 70gnsV out of my White using a #11 cap, just to see.... it went off but it was more like a sparkler than a firecracker lol. No need to try that again.....
There is a guy named Herb ( forum name also) on ALR that tested all the black powder subs, with tightly patched balls, in one of his scratch built, .58 caliber, flintlock, Leman rifles with a 1.0625" straight octagon × 24" long barrel.

He used a squib load of 10 grains of fffg black powder in the barrel under all of the subs, including BH209. There were no hang fires, or slow ignition. He got a minimum of hunting grade accuracy in his tests, which is to say approximately 2 M.O.A.. He chronographed all of the loads.

This was at the end of an extensive black powder test of brands and granulations. He did it to satisfy his curiosity over the "MYTHS" about whether or not the subs would work in a flintlock.

He did not push his curiosity any further. As you might expect, there is a lot of negative press at ALR about the subs, some of it quite justified, where real black powder reigns supreme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wool felt has sure been good to me, i have been speaking Highly of the Material from my Beginning in Muzzleloading. The Vege Fibre, Nitro Cards, and Poly Wads have been WAY to Hit & Miss for me to ever trust them, I have pretty much given up on using them, I use them to Foul my Bore. Wool Felt has been the Crystal Clear winner for me. With my Lead Conicals, be it Grease Groove or Paper Patch, there will Always be an 1/8” Wool Felt Over Powder Wad Between my Powder Charge and Bullet Base, Wool Felt has done nothing but Help me

I gotta agree with the “myths” I’ve never had an issue with ignition using BH209 until I loaded up 70gnsV out of my White using a #11 cap, just to see.... it went off but it was more like a sparkler than a firecracker lol. No need to try that again.....
I wonder what 10 grains of real black powder under that same charge would do. I am sure it would be more trouble than it is worth but I cant help but wonder.

edit. I should have read the next page.

I wonder what 10 grains of real black powder under that same charge would do. I am sure it would be more trouble than it is worth but I cant help but wonder.

edit. I should have read the next page.
It cant be any more trouble than using a DIS in my Accura. I have read about a few trials with duplexing bh209 and real black in a sidelock. Its got my interest if it means i could shoot bh209 in my renegade

Last edited:
It cant be any more trouble than using a DIS in my Accura. I have read about a few trials with duplexing bh209 and real black in a sidelock. Its got my interest if it means i could shoot bh209 in my eenegade

I think one of, perhaps the main, reason that Western warns against using BH209 in sidelocks, is the higher breech pressures.

In a well constructed rifle it is not going to be a problem.

The problem is that there are a WHOLE LOT OF not so well constructed weapons floating around; and probably even more that have been poorly maintained.

And, far too many shooters that have got absolutely NO IDEA of how to discriminate between safe, and unsafe practices.

I could see someone using a squib load of real black under a max load of BH209 in a European percussion sidelock with drum & nipple ignition; and blowing the drum assembly right out of the barrel into the shooter standing along side the idiot doing such a thing.

I think one of, perhaps the main, reason that Western warns against using BH209 in sidelocks, is the higher breech pressures.

In a well constructed rifle it is not going to be a problem.

The problem is that there are a WHOLE LOT OF not so well constructed weapons floating around; and probably even more that have been poorly maintained.

And, far too many shooters that have got absolutely NO IDEA of how to discriminate between safe, and unsafe practices.

I could see someone using a squib load of real black under a max load of BH209 in a European percussion sidelock with drum & nipple ignition; and blowing the drum assembly right out of the barrel into the shooter standing along side the idiot doing such a thing.
Im not a max load shooter. I have a green mntn 45 barrel on my renegade. That is one thick, heavy barrel. IF i were to experiment with that im staying below 90grV of bh209. I have shot bh in it before with a 209 adapter and 70grv. Those adapters are a pita.

QLA

Got to thinking about what would happen if one shot these 50 caliber bullets in a rifle with a QLA. If the 50 caliber bullet were to be used for hunting, one of the best rifle used to hunt with has a QLA, and didn't really want to cut it off. This morning the rifle used was the Omega Dream Season with 1X scope mounted. Breech plug was Bestill'. Temperature was a chilly 30°, and it was spitting snow. The best way to aim using a 1X scope is to use a blank paper for the target; the reticle covers completely a bull. Range is 103 yard.

Because of the QLA, it seemed the best way to have the rifle shoot the 50 caliber bullet straight was to use a ballistic bridge sub base. The load was 95g Blackhorn, ballistic bridge sub-base, 275g Fury ST Mz, 209A primer. for the second three shots. First three shots were 95g Blackhorn, 250g Deep Curl, crush rib sabot, 209A primer. These first three shots encircled in blue. These three shots taken to verify aim using sabot.

Second set of three shots made to see if the 50 caliber bullet could work in this rifle; after the elevation dial turned up 3 moa.

IMG_4809.JPG

QLA

Got to thinking about what would happen if one shot these 50 caliber bullets in a rifle with a QLA. If the 50 caliber bullet were to be used for hunting, one of the best rifle used to hunt with has a QLA, and didn't really want to cut it off. This morning the rifle used was the Omega Dream Season with 1X scope mounted. Breech plug was Bestill'. Temperature was a chilly 30°, and it was spitting snow. The best way to aim using a 1X scope is to use a blank paper for the target; the reticle covers completely a bull. Range is 103 yard.

Because of the QLA, it seemed the best way to have the rifle shoot the 50 caliber bullet straight was to use a ballistic bridge sub base. The load was 95g Blackhorn, ballistic bridge sub-base, 275g Fury ST Mz, 209A primer. for the second three shots. First three shots were 95g Blackhorn, 250g Deep Curl, crush rib sabot, 209A primer. These first three shots encircled in blue. These three shots taken to verify aim using sabot.

Second set of three shots made to see if the 50 caliber bullet could work in this rifle; after the elevation dial turned up 3 moa.

IMG_4809.JPG

Seems like that's got potential. If you work to find the right combo, I'm betting you can get sub-MOA.

The reason that isn't very likely is because the 1X reticle covers what seems to be more than 2 moa. It does seem one will be able to hunt with the 50 caliber bullet using those sub bases.

The reason that isn't very likely is because the 1X reticle covers what seems to be more than 2 moa. It does seem one will be able to hunt with the 50 caliber bullet using those sub bases.
I had to shoot at a paper plate with my 1x scopes. That’s all Utah used to allow... those fat crosshairs make it tough, as well as the fact that it makes things look a little farther away....

The best one I ever found was a Burris Scout scope. I had a couple Nikon Buckmasters and a couple Simmons. I bought 3 Simmons Black Diamond shotgun scopes, I liked the reticle but, they had a ton of parallax at 100 yards. So they aren’t riding anything I own. I think I gave 2 away.....

Latest posts

Back