Fury Star Tip MZ 2 - Ballistic Gel Results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fury Star Tip 2 MZ .458 300 grain. Two Bullets shot at 50 yards into 10% ballistic gel. Impact speed was 1214 and 1279. Neither one expanded. I was hoping to use this bullet but will now need to change my plans.
In both shots the bullet left the gel with little damage and was found imbedded in the paper.

Attachments

• E1C678A7-ECFB-47CD-8C8C-9105DC4EC4E5.jpeg
    E1C678A7-ECFB-47CD-8C8C-9105DC4EC4E5.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 1AA549B8-2EF2-4CBD-BA5A-BFD5AA2CF983.jpeg
    1AA549B8-2EF2-4CBD-BA5A-BFD5AA2CF983.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
New test. Same results.

I was hoping the Gel would help them open. No luck. Looks like they will need considerable speed to be effective. I was chasing the higher BC.
Fury has two diff bullet jacket thicknesses for his " Muzzleloading " bullets &
his " Smokeless Muzzleloading " bullets. I'm not entirely sure if the cores are the same for both types.

Yes. I was shooting the .52 Knight and needed the .458 bullet dimeter. Perhaps other bullets in the line up would perform differently? However, I think caution is warrented when the possibility of lower speeds are in the equation.

I do like the options available but if one looks at the ballistic charts, fps drops fairly quickly once longer ranges are in the picture.

If you do, I am hoping you will try the .453 STB 265grn. Ron did a great test with them. I would like to see them in ballistic gel. Send you some of the STBs if you want.

Contact Dennis to see if he will make you a 0.458" bullet with the thinner jacket in 300 gr.

Last time I spoke with Dennis he was working hard trying to keep 10 employees busy . Hope fully he can do the thinner jacket 300 Gr. bonded.
I think you might have to get the velocity up regardless. Or try a faster twist.
He's a great Bullet Smith as well as several others.

No bullet can do every thing well.

I wanted to take advantage of the faster twist in the .52 ( 1/26 ). I needed a bullet with a high BC, which at .295, this one had. It shot fantastic groups at 100, 200 and 300 yards. I just wanted to see what would happen at slower impact speeds which I may encounter beyond 200 yards. I was worried about it and sure enough, no joy.

.458 bullets with higher BCs are hard to find.

I understand what your saying .458 is a common center fire diameter. not a common ML Dia.

Stay with it I'm interested to see what you get working

The .458 bullets that Dennis offers are to be used either with a full form sizing die in a 45 cal barrel or can also be used in a 50 cal barrel with either a Orange mmp or a Harvester black crushed rib sabot...Generally 45 cal barrels are .450- .452 from land to land . If you are planning to smooth size your bullets you must use the .452 bullets offered...Dennis offers the .452 bullets for either black powder or smokeless applications... I've only heard of people using the .458 bullets full formed in 45 cal smokeless guns....I've been using the 275 gn st .452 smokeless bullets since he started making them..they are extremely accurate and devastating on deer. Never had a problem with them expanding from 150-300yds.

Last edited:
The .458 bullets that Dennis offers are to be used either with a full form sizing die in a 45 cal barrel or can also be used in a 50 cal barrel with either a Orange mmp or a Harvester black crushed rib sabot...Generally 45 cal barrels are .450- .452 from land to land . If you are planning to smooth size your bullets you must use the .452 bullets offered...Dennis offers the .452 bullets for either black powder or smokeless applications... I've only heard of people using the .458 bullets full formed in 45 cal smokeless guns....I've been using the 275 gn st .452 smokeless bullets since he started making them..they are extremely accurate and devastating on deer. Never had a problem with them expanding from 150-300yds.
I just got 100 .452 275g MZ2P's to shoot outta my .45 Paramount. 'm gonna order 50 more .45 250g .453 STB's to shoot behind T7fff in my Accura V2. I like Fury Bullets & Dennis too.
But if I saw that gel test THAT bullet would NOT be used again to hunt with PERIOD.

N62, I find the Fury .452 a bit loose in my Paramount. Knurling helps keep the bullet in place over the powder
What ever Dia. bullet is used .452/.458; Dennis does not recommend downsizing more than .002 in. This applies for a naked to bore fit.
No sabot.

N62, I find the Fury .452 a bit loose in my Paramount. Knurling helps keep the bullet in place over the powder
What ever Dia. bullet is used .452/.458; Dennis does not recommend downsizing more than .002 in. This applies for a naked to bore fit.
No sabot.
Yes sir, all the .452 bullets are going to fit loosely in the Paramounts bore, not just the fury's. I've gotten full bore bullets from Parker & Fury for my Paramount & I have them swaged up to .4525 & with 1/8" lubed felt wad & .060 Veggie Wad, either one worked well. Though sized full bore bullets without any wad are shooting well out of the Paramount. The Fury .453 265gr STB shoot well with & without a wad with
BH 209 charges at really light & 105gr charges in the Paramount as well.
I'll get some posts up shortly of my Paramount finished with the 5 port titanium 1piece Beast brake on it with some chrony & range data shooting Fury 275gr MZ2P's with a .060 veggie wad & 105grBW BH 209 along with some data from the assortment of Parker bullets I got to test out in my Paramount I've been meanin to do for a few months now but I gat a tree across my shooting range & a broken rib in my right chest so movin that tree or shooting havent been on my agenda for 4-5wks now. Bout ready to get at it now.

Yes sir, all the .452 bullets are going to fit loosely in the Paramounts bore, not just the fury's. I've gotten full bore bullets from Parker & Fury for my Paramount & I have them swaged up to .4525 & with 1/8" lubed felt wad & .060 Veggie Wad, either one worked well. Though sized full bore bullets without any wad are shooting well out of the Paramount. The Fury .453 265gr STB shoot well with & without a wad with
BH 209 charges at really light & 105gr charges in the Paramount as well.
I'll get some posts up shortly of my Paramount finished with the 5 port titanium 1piece Beast brake on it with some chrony & range data shooting Fury 275gr MZ2P's with a .060 veggie wad & 105grBW BH 209 along with some data from the assortment of Parker bullets I got to test out in my Paramount I've been meanin to do for a few months now but I gat a tree across my shooting range & a broken rib in my right chest so movin that tree or shooting havent been on my agenda for 4-5wks now. Bout ready to get at it now.
I can't recommend a lubed wad for a hunting rifle but ok for the target range where the load will not be in the chamber for any extended time.
I work up a load with a dry wad and don't use lube for anything but a ball patch or a cast lead bullet.
I do like the 265 Gr Ball tip .453 in my Paramount.
A full bore bullet is designed to fit the grooves of the barrel and has the rifling engraved on the bullet in the sizing process. Then the land groves in the bullet are aligned with the rifling of the barrel when loading.
Is that what you ARE SAYING WHEN YOU MEAN FULL BORE BULLET?
a .453 BULLET IS NOT A FULL BORE FIT IN A PARAMOUNT. IT'S ONLY A BORE FIT NOT FULL BORE.
THE BULLET ABTURATES TO FULL BORE.
Anyway I think you might be on the correct track with your gun
I'll be watching.

Maybe they have a match for stock production guns. I have not checked the regulations lately. Take a look you might be surprised.
Of course they have a match that stock production rifles can be shot in. Actually any of the inline shoots a production rifle can be shot in.

Latest posts

Back