Getting ready

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Opening day of the turkey season in western Oklahoma is on Monday, the 6th.
I'm planning a hunting trip and getting my gear ready. Gonna camp out for a few days at one of the state WMA's which is about 160 miles from home.
This will be my first Oklahoma turkey season and I can't wait to get going.
I'm hoping to get a chance at one of the Rio Grande turkeys out here.

Good Luck on your hunt for that Rio Grande. I've only seen pictures of them. They are a pretty bird.
The son and I will be hunting youth day here in Maryland on April 11th. We have the Eastern sub species here in The Free State. The regular season starts April 18th. Hoping the season does not get shut down or tampered with due to this virus.

Opening day of the turkey season in western Oklahoma is on Monday, the 6th.
I'm planning a hunting trip and getting my gear ready. Gonna camp out for a few days at one of the state WMA's which is about 160 miles from home.
This will be my first Oklahoma turkey season and I can't wait to get going.
I'm hoping to get a chance at one of the Rio Grande turkeys out here.
Deermanok i wish you well but with this biological warfare virus going on do you think thats really wise ?? Its spreading like wildfire in Michigan cuz nobody is taking our stay home orders or other precautions seriously . This virus is No Joke !!! Either to transport it or bring it home its not worth it to me . Its got a 2 to 3 wk incubation period too !!! Many are heading to northern Michigan cabins and taking it there . My buddy in Hillman is seeing cars from New York , Florida , all over up there !!! This kid is Layin Low !!!

Except to walk on my hands like fi-do in the front yard cuz theres no tp available of course......

Last edited:
Deermanok i wish you well but with this biological warfare virus going on do you think thats really wise ?? Its spreading like wildfire in Michigan cuz nobody is taking our stay home orders or other precautions seriously . This virus is No Joke !!! Either to transport it or bring it home its not worth it to me . This kid is Layin Low !!!

Except to walk on my hands like fi-do in the front yard cuz theres no tp available of course......
I hear ya, fortunately the virus hasn't impacted Oklahoma too hard yet. The big cities up north are not so lucky though, Oklahoma City and Tulsa have most of the cases. The county that I live in and the area where I'm headed to are virus free as of today anyway. I'm not planning to stop anywhere along the way to my destination or interact with anyone. So I do feel pretty safe traveling and hunting.

I hear ya, fortunately the virus hasn't impacted Oklahoma too hard yet. The big cities up north are not so lucky though, Oklahoma City and Tulsa have most of the cases. The county that I live in and the area where I'm headed to are virus free as of today anyway. I'm not planning to stop anywhere along the way to my destination or interact with anyone. So I do feel pretty safe traveling and hunting.
Wish ya well bud but i think this ole boy looks dam good in front of the tv !!!

I wish you good luck and remember to stay clear from people. Like another said, it has a very long incubation period. I went scouting today and saw 20 or more turkeys and sat and watched them for a while. Beautiful birds here in South Eastern NC.

Thank you all, my only regret was that I didn't have the chance to explore the entire WMA that I visited. Even though I wasn't pressed for time, there wasn't much point to stick around after I filled my tag.
The one thing that I did learn, is that I'm getting too old to climb in and out of my "low boy" turkey chair. I gotta come up with some other kind of small chair to carry in the woods.

Opening day, 9 am, shot my first Rio Grande in western Oklahoma.
I called in 2 birds, what an exciting hunt. The WMA I hunted only allows 1 bird so now I'll have to wait till the season starts in my county to try for an eastern.
Outstanding , congrats bud. Well done

Back