Goex or Old Eynsford

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer

Reaction score
:think:
Week before last I did a little shooting with Old Eynsford 2F for the first time and like I stated before I was pretty impressed with it. I didn't have the time I needed to do a comparison test I wanted to do between the 2 powders but this past Saturday I did.
I used the same charge, 70 grains for both, the same .570 Hornady ball, .018 patches with my friend Jonathan's anti-rust and lube and CCI caps.
Temp in the low 70's, bright blue sky and no wind. The 7 shots were from the 50 yard benches. No swabbing the barrel at all and no loading problems.
IMG_1816_zpsgyxz3kre.jpg

First shot was at 1 o'clock in the 10 ring on the target on the right. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th shots were right under the bull. The 5th, 6th and 7th shots were in the 10 ring in the target on the left. Don't know the reason why there is a horizontal and a vertical group. Maybe the powders react differently with a clean cold rifle or maybe it was just me. :wink:

Ray...................The target on the left is Goex and OE on the right. IMHO, they are pretty close but after today and last weeks group, I'm going with OE when my Goex runs out. :yeah:

:nono: :nono:

No I didn't. I'll try to get that done on another weekend.

Ray........ :yeah:

Horizontal and vertical groups, both same powder charge but different powders suggests to me that you just need to try different powder charges with both powders. The first shot out of the group doesn't surprise me considering that you didn't swab between shots.

:huh?:

excess650,

Please explain your last sentence in your reply. The first shot was with a clean rifle and hit at 1 o'clock in the 10 ring on the target on the right. Once the barrel was dirty, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th shot came together without swabbing the barrel. Please explain OK.

Thanks,
Ray

Thanks for the comparison Ray. My local powder supplier has OE, Goex, Scheutzen, and Swiss. I love Swiss but the difference in price between these brands makes me look hard at the OE for a change. I'm blessed to be able to buy real BP in person without shipping & hazmat fees.

:yeah:

You are blessed. I used to get my Goex from a gun store but they stopped selling it. Didn't have a lot of call for it.

Ray............

Ray,
In that you did not swab between shots, the first shot was from a clean bore condition, so "high, out of the group". Subsequent shots were from similar (fouled) bore conditions, nothing more intended.

excess650,

No problem. I thought I was missing something. Thanks for your all your replies. I could use all the help I could get.

Ray............ :yeah:

excess650,

No problem. I thought I was missing something. Thanks for your all your replies. I could use all the help I could get.

Ray............ :yeah:

Ray,
You're doing something right or else you would shoot patterns instead of groups. My .50 likes more fffg than you're burning in that .58, so don't be afraid to experiment with heavier charges. I shoot 100gr Goex fffg in my .58.

excess650,

Your right. I'm going to increase the charge slowly. Then we'll see what kind of groups I get. That 54 has got to kick like a mule with 100 grs of powder but I'm going to try.

Ray............

Felt recoil is a combination of the load, weight of the gun, and configuration of the stock. I shoot 100gr Goex fffg under PRBs in my 7-1/4# .58. It has a 32" tapered octagon barrel mounted in an English Sporting Rifle style (like Jim Chamber's English Gentlemen's Rifle http://www.flintlocks.com/rifles05.htm) but in maple with iron. Mine may have less drop and more cast-off, but has that 2" wide, flat buttplate that evenly distributes the recoil. The load/rifle combination is very pleasant, as in all afternoon in a t-shirt shooting.

My first sidelock was a 1st year CVA Mountain Rifle(1975), .50 percussion kit gun, and I still have it. I didn't know that a 1-66" twist wouldn't shoot a maxi-ball, so I tired them. I normally shot 70-75gr fffg under patched roundballs, and 100-105gr under the 370gr maxiballs. Both grouped about the same at 50 yards. The maxi-ball load would hit my cheek pretty hard until I discovered that keeping my head back and more upright eliminated it. Crawling up the stock was a bad habit learned from shooting a scoped centerfire with too long length of pull and/or too little eye relief in the scope.

Back