Good first time with new rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Took the Optima out to 100 yards today. I think i will need to change to the mmp 12 sabot as the 24's load pretty easy. 250gr XTP, My 3 shots at 100 yards were 5" high "Perfect for when i switch over to the 405 PB" And measured 2 1/2" group. Not the tightest but i was very happy with that for the first time out at 100 yards. I believe this is my second day with the rifle and have put well over 30 shots through it.

I used the remington kleanbore primers and after 5 shots the frame was pretty clean but i noticed a lot of primer crud build up in the breech plug where i insert the primer.

I am going back out to 100yards with CCI Magnum 209's and see how those do.

Very happy with the rifle so far.

Quick update, I found Three 275gr Parkers in the MMP 24 sabot and will shoot those off.

Update again!

275gr Parkers in a mmp 24 sabot shot the exact same group! Its now obvious that will have to use the mmp-12 sabot to get a tighter fit.

Out of powder so once i get some my next outing with me my hunting load with the 405gr powerbelt. That should be tame in this 9lb 10.5oz beast LOL.

Great report FG
Sweet rifle too
I like the Break Open style.
Is this a used rifle?
I remember you saying you cleaned it up with flitz.
My Bad I just read the other post.I now know you bought it used

Yeah i traded a cva bobcat i had for it. I guess the optima was to heavy for the guys daughter. Its no light weight thats for sure.

Well ive done a lot of shooting with it while MM was down.

Rifle has really been great all these weeks and my best group at 100yrds was the first 2 shots touching and the 3ed being a little low. It was a 1 1/2" group so i am pretty happy with the rifle.

Everything from XTP's, Barnes expanders and the Parkers all need the MMP-12 Sabot and they still load nice on a fouled barrel.

Recoil with a big 405gr sabot with 90gr pyrodex p is pudding! Handles recoil perfectly.

Good deal FG... I've heard the Optima's were nice in the recoil department,,, and more importantly good shooters. I'm still going to buy an Accura, my play $ ran out so I had to put the CVA on the back burner.

Bout to go see what the shooting store has in stock. Either going to be a package of powerbelts or scope lens covers.

I was set on getting an Accura but after this deal, I am going to put that off to a side for quite a while.

Nice shooting FG. The Optima generally are a great shooting rifle. I never throught they were all that heavy though.

Back