Good hunting scope for 30 06?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just acquired a Colt Saur 3000 Drilling. 12g double (Mod and full chokes) with a 30 06 under. I plan to be hunting in Georgia and mostly 100-150 yard at most. Deer and/or hogs. I like the drilling as an all-around firearm. For plinking, birds, whatever. I plan to handload the 30 06 from plinking to bigger game.

I am ok with iron sights, but like a crosshair or dot with more precision. I also want to be able to detach it so I can use my shotgun barrels. I see "claw mounts" on drillings.

What magnification? Fixed or variable scope good? Unlikely I would be hunting at night, but are thermal scopes worthwhile?

Attachments

• IMG_2051.JPG
    IMG_2051.JPG
    703.1 KB · Views: 0
I was just wondering how you would even mount a scope on that gun? I have to look up a “claw mount” or whatever it might be. Im not opposed to putting a scope on anything, if it helps. That one is going to look odd, tho. Maybe a long eye relief pistol or scout scope?

I just acquired a Colt Saur 3000 Drilling. 12g double (Mod and full chokes) with a 30 06 under. I plan to be hunting in Georgia and mostly 100-150 yard at most. Deer and/or hogs. I like the drilling as an all-around firearm. For plinking, birds, whatever. I plan to handload the 30 06 from plinking to bigger game.

I am ok with iron sights, but like a crosshair or dot with more precision. I also want to be able to detach it so I can use my shotgun barrels. I see "claw mounts" on drillings.

What magnification? Fixed or variable scope good? Unlikely I would be hunting at night, but are thermal scopes worthwhile?
I’ve hunted with drillings for over 20 years. A light, 1-4x is probably perfect for your use. The 12 gauge frame guns are heavy already, so a light scope is a good idea.

Most of the Colt Sauer drillings I’ve seen had a scope base of some type already. If yours doesn’t, the only person I would trust to install claw mount scope bases and rings would be JJ Perodeau, out of OK. It will be expensive, but worth it. Another option, less expensive would be a set of German “Recknagle” mounts that twist on/off. They are repeatable when properly installed, and won’t require as much hand fitting as a set of claw mounts. They aren’t as quick to take on and off, but cost probably 1/2 of what the claw mounts run.

BTW, the Germans seem to like (or liked) the 180 grain 30-06 loads. The rear sight on your barrel might be regulated for that bullet weight, usually at about 60m.

Attachments

• claw 1.jpeg
    claw 1.jpeg
    410.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Claw mount see-through.jpg
    Claw mount see-through.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 0
  • JP-SAUER-SIDELOCK-DRILLING-MADE-IN-1925-GAME-SCENE-ENGRAVING-16-16-8X58-SAUER_102185061_18376_...jpg
    JP-SAUER-SIDELOCK-DRILLING-MADE-IN-1925-GAME-SCENE-ENGRAVING-16-16-8X58-SAUER_102185061_18376_...jpg
    431 KB · Views: 1
  • claw 2.jpg
    claw 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Does your drilling already have the claw mount base on it or do you need one installed or do you have the complete setup I agree 1x4 or 1x5 maybe even 2x7 scope for drillings are just about perfect

I have a Nikon on mine, but they are no longer made. I have recently purchased and used Burris, and they are excellent scopes. But as with most everything, you get what you pay for!

Last edited by a moderator:
My thought is a magnetic mount might do the trick, if it fits ok. They use them a lot with shotguns and red dots.

You can simply use a good size neodymium magnet would stick like it is welded on too. With a scope you might need two magnets. Stick them on then stick on the scope mounts and mount the scope. The order you do it isn’t too important.

Does your drilling already have the claw mount base on it or do you need one installed or do you have the complete setup I agree 1x4 or 1x5 maybe even 2x7 scope for drillings are just about perfect
Well does it have the base

Not a good idea to do that to the rib it is not designed for the weight or recoil of a scope . But you may get lucky . Seems it would be best to buy a gun with scope already installed or at least have the base and rings from the factory already installed. Don't ask how I know about it not being a good idea

I would not even try to recommend a scope. There are just to many decisions based on intended use. Bit that being said its hard to beat a straight 4x scope for almost all hunting scenarios until you start getting into long range.

Not a good idea to do that to the rib it is not designed for the weight or recoil of a scope . But you may get lucky . Seems it would be best to buy a gun with scope already installed or at least have the base and rings from the factory already installed. Don't ask how I know about it not being a good idea
Uh oh! It is a massively built gun, but maybe a gun smith would know. But now I am nervous. Maybe there could be a clamp-on? It is a Drilling, and the top is a double barrel.

Back