Good news for a change

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
I burdened you all with the story of my various surgeries this past year. Then, I mentioned the re-tearing of my quadriceps tendon and its surgical repair just recently. Now there is some decent news. On Tuesday, my orthopedic surgeon released me to start physical therapy again. I had my first session on Thursday.

It seems that I rushed the last physical therapy and moved forward with an exercise regime a little too aggressively. THe recent, partial tear probably came about from my compulsive desire to get back to normal quickly, as if I was 25 years old again. He reminded me that I am no longer 25 or 30, but more like 35 :shock: :twisted:  Moderation is the operational word, he said! I responded that if something is worth doing, it is worth doing in excess. But, although I hate to admit it, he is correct. I will take it a little easier this time around. I don't want there to be a third time.

Ron

Ron

My arms have shrunk to levels I haven't seen in my adult life......both shoulder surgeries have reduced me to quite the weakling........however I too tried to speed up my recovery with my P.T. and suffered the consequences........in my case "slow and steady wins the race" Patience is not my strong suit.......I am getting used to the idea that by this summer...I may be able to pick up a 100lbs. :lol:

I know that you have gone through the mill with many more surgeries than I have. I admire your perseverance! And, as a strength coach once told me: "do your curls for the girls!" :D

Ron

Wishing both of you a speedy but successful recovery process. It's funny in some way how as we get older we want our bodies to work like they did when we were younger but we have more wisdom now than before. We may not heal quickly but we are still in the game. While my son can climb higher and hunt harder, he still ask me for my advice about hunting and reloading. At the end of the day, I am thankful to still be able to go afield and enjoy God's creation. I know both if of you feel the same way.

Take care my friends, fall is headed our way!

Jerry

" But, although I hate to admit it, he is correct. I will take it a little easier this time around. I don't want there to be a third time."

Hmmmm, where have I heard that before?? :scratch: 

I can hand out advice but I don't listen to it. Luckily, I only broke one wire tying my sternum together from hunting 7 weeks after a triple bypass. I had already killed 3 deer by the time I was released to go hunting again in January.
Most doctors don't know what's involved when you hunt so I just use my own judgment.

Unfortunately, I messed up my left rotator cuff again so I have to see the orthopedist soon for that and my left hip but I will refuse any surgery more involved than arthroscopic surgery.

I wish you the best outcome, Bob! Of course that best outcome includes the ability to go hunting.
Ron

Ron, I'll go hunting even if I have to do it from a wheelchair.
However, I just got over 2 weeks of some kind of bronchial flu and didn't make the turkey opener. My grandson & I went to some nearby caves instead where my coughing wouldn't bother the bats much.

nate-d10.jpg

nate_210.jpg

Ron
Good news take it easy thinking about you from the North. Look forward to shooting again soon. Al

It's great having the support of all you fine folks!
I am going to follow the advice you have given about taking it slowly. Also, I am over my attitude toward recognition of my age, described as that famous, Egyptian river, "De Nile." The fact is that I have been in denial about the aging process and its implications. Never again will I be 35, no matter how hard I try. I can be a young 70, if nature permits and cooperates.

And, if my wife of more than 46 years reads this, the above doesn't mean I will grow up and act my age! :D
Ron

Get strong enough to finish the race strong...........like you said be a young 70 year old.......the cemeteries are full of old men who never made it to 70.....or 60....or 50....40...... 8)

Latest posts

Back