Good starter gun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJAdventures

Reaction score
I have a friend who is wanting to get his grand children a good starter gun for deer only and asked me about the Savage Axis. I told him I would have to ask the pros as I know nothing about the Axis. Anyone have any input?

Savage Axis comes in a youth model in 243 or 7mm/08 either would be a fine choice the only negative is that it is not an accutrigger rifle and the trigger pull may be a bit heavy However an adjustable trigger is available from SSS(Sharp Shooters Supply) simple DIY install

The savage rifles will never win a "Beauty" contest but are certainly the most accurate out of the box domestic production rifle.

Look at the Savage model 200 or better yet the accu-trigger rifle. If a young shooter starts with a 243 the savage barrel nut system makes a barrel change to a 260, 7-08 or 308 much easier as the young shooter ages or desires more horse power.

Chocdog

Thumbs up for the Savage, like the gentleman stated earlier they might not win a beauty contest but they are real shooters, I have 5 or 6 Savages and that's all I'll buy for a center fire rifle fron here on.

sqezer said:
Thumbs up for the Savage, like the gentleman stated earlier they might not win a beauty contest but they are real shooters, I have 5 or 6 Savages and that's all I'll buy for a center fire rifle fron here on.

true savages are great guns but he is asking about the "axis". witch is savages low end model, which is not based of the 110 series action like the Stevens 200 and all other savages. It is like saying a remington 770 is as good as a remington 700.

Shop around for a different model savage based on the 110 series, that way as the children grow there is endless aftermarket parts and even the ability to switch barrels. With the "axis" you are stuck with it the way the factory made it

Axis should be fine. It proving to be accurate. The barrel has a barrel nut, so they can be changed. The triggers are heavy, but can be fixed for additional cost.

If he is open to another suggestion I would look at the marlin xs7 as well. Good trigger out of the box, youth model is avail, usually as accurate and only 25-50 dollars more. They both should work, just see what fits his little ones better.

Start out with what you want to end up with and your dollars ahead. I'd say start the young fellow out with a youth Remington 700 or a Rem Mod 7. If he don't want to pursue the sport--- you'll never lose a cent on a Remington. They just hold their value. You couldn't get $200 for a used Savage or Stevens 200 if you had $100 bill taped to the barrel. Remember the bottom of the line Rem 788? If you can score one at a gunshow for less than $450 you're very lucky. Then look for a used Savage 340. Or better yet, A savage 110 circa 1971. It's a $150 rifle IF it's pristine. I had a Savage 10ML and as popular as everyone says that they are it took me almost two years to sell it. Never buy somthing that nobody wants unless you plan to keep it forever.

Latest posts

Back