Got a Doe This Morning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
I went to a new public area this morning and got lucky pretty quick. At 8:50 a doe snuck in behind me and spotted me right off the bat. She walked slowly towards my front while constantly eyeballing me. She stopped and I reached for my bow which was hanging on the side away from her. She allowed me to rotate back around and shoot her from 16 yards.
I waited 40 minutes and found her pretty quick. She had only gone 30 yards.

FEDoeentranceWEB_zps7b99135c.jpg

I dragged her into the bushes and piled brush on her because I had to go back to the truck 5/8 mile away for a cart to haul her out. Buzzards were perched in the trees and they will decimate a carcass if you don't hide it.

FEDoeundercoverWEB_zps83f1ea72.jpg

I finally got her back to the check station about 11:30 and they tagged it.

FEDoeexitWEB_zpsf784f052.jpg

There were only 3 deer and one turkey killed out of 75 hunters in the area. I was very lucky.

Nice pass-through :!:  What set-up are you using :?:

Marty, I have a disabled crossbow permit because both of my shoulders are messed up with torn rotator cuffs. I'm going to see about surgery in March after hunting season ends.

I have a Barnett Wildcat that sounds like a .38 when I shoot. This deer was so close that it couldn't jump the string. I shoot old Hoyt 4-blade, cut on contact broadheads. They were discontinued decades ago and I bought up all I could find. They have proven to be lethal, even on poorly placed shots. I shot 2 deer in the liver and they both bled out in less than 30 seconds.
I wish I could find some more. Mine have been re-sharpened many times.

Bob,
Enjoy those back straps. I know they are going to be nice and tender.

Ray.......... :Red tup:

Nice doe. What was the temperature there when you shot her. It's in the 70's here and I worry its too warm to be able to process the meat before it starts to go bad.

The temp. was 76 deg. and about "200%" humidity. ;) 
By the time I got to her after shooting, there were already blowflies that had laid eggs around the wound. It was another 1 1/2 hrs before I got her cleaned. The WMA wants you to bring the deer in whole prior to gutting so they can "live" weigh them, pull a jawbone, take a kidney fat index and check for signs of CWD.

The deer here don't get their winter coats until late Nov  or December. The short hair and no fat allows them to cool rapidly. It's still preferable to get them gutted, skinned, quartered and iced down within an hour after death.

wow, you were lucky! Congrats on a fine doe and a well placed shot!

Latest posts

Back