Got a Mountain Rifle!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Got a Mountain Rifle!

More and more coats to go. This is 3 thin coats.
IMG_2642_zpsef25fa88.jpg

IMG_2643_zpsea3dd7f9.jpg

IMG_2645_zpse2e62d07.jpg

Yeah but I can't wait to see what it looks like....

The indoor light makes it look too red. Take it outside so we can see the real color.

whew! Shes DONE. I am just waiting for the Barricade on the barrel to dry before installing it onto the stock. Extremely happy with the way she came out, she will make a fine muzzle loader for some one very soon.

Before calling the stock good, I wet sanded with 2000 grit sand paper, cleaned it all up and then applied one final coat of truoil by hand.

Furniture i antique browned, same with the nose cap and patch box ( minus the browned part lol) I don't want bright shiny new looking stuff on it, just makes it look cheap IMO.

Tomorrow I will take picture after the stock has time to really set up.

ok some poor inside pictures. The bring back ground makes the wood look a LOT darker than it really is.
IMG_2653_zpsea2375d6.jpg

IMG_2655_zpsc940c378.jpg

IMG_2656_zps189e9649.jpg

damn! It hit me that I have to order a couple MR ramrods for this one and my hawken since I broke the one that came with this one LOL.

Looks a hell of a lot better than the original orange color on it IMO.

Weather is nice here. Go take some pics outside.

ok old man, this is ALL I will do for now outside. Its to windy to set it up on a nice back ground for quality pictures, but this gives the true color of the stock.
IMG_2662_zps6ad15e02.jpg

IMG_2663_zps55947b61.jpg

That looks nice. You going to knock the shine off it?

How do you get the dark spots?

dark spots is all in how the wood grain is. The larger pattern area's often come out an amber color, where the tight pattern comes out darker, the other side will show this real well.

I am leaving the shine, I tried it dulled down and it would ruin the finished product.

That looks real good, but if it was mine. That shine would have to go.

why? it matches your head.

I buffed it down once before, didnt like it with a dull finish, wood like that needs a glass finish.

Back