Got in some shooting/testing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegadehunter

Reaction score
I made it out to do a bit of shooting. I wanted to try some different patch lubes out mainly, I recently got some Frontier anti-rust and patch lube and wanted to also try some homemade olive oil /bees wax and some Dutch style Ballistol/water “dry” patches. I’ve done the Dutch style patches in the past with good accuracy but used castor oil / denatured alcohol for them.
The targets were all shot at 50 yards off a picnic table with the forearm resting on a sandbag. 3 shots into each target. The powder and patches are written on the targets, powder was Goex. The taped over holes in the second target were from trying my homemade .012” linen patches with a .535 RB, not impressive! I think I’m going to be a fan of the Frontier lube, i found that it isn’t as slick as my normal mink oil I use and thus is easier to apply without getting too much on the patch and making it too slick. I’ve found that my group sizes with mink can open up if I get too much on the patch. The Frontier lube melts right into the patch and isn’t near as finicky. I applied the Frontier lube by just swiping the patch across the lube and then rubbing it in with my thumbs.
*Edit*. I should also mention a fouling shot was fired and I swabbed between each shot with a damp patch, one pass down and back, flip, and another pass down and back. No drying swab.
CA32691B-C319-4180-836D-C138178DC173.jpeg
E3549CB8-C194-46CD-B419-53A5C98E5B94.jpeg
1B2BA869-159A-4B2D-B574-F58788EC794B.jpeg

Last edited:
Great shooting. Still haven't made it to range with my 2. On the list but fishing turkey hunting and gaedening got my attention right now. I will try the pre lubed patches when I do get out there. You shoot well. I hope I can see the target with the iron sights. Do you paint you ramp or anything like that.

Great shooting. Still haven't made it to range with my 2. On the list but fishing turkey hunting and gaedening got my attention right now. I will try the pre lubed patches when I do get out there. You shoot well. I hope I can see the target with the iron sights. Do you paint you ramp or anything like that.
I have a set of Fiber optic Williams sights on it, called a "ghost ring" sight. The rear peep (mounted in the factory location) has two green F.O. dots on each side of it and the front post has a red F.O. dot. The front post dot is way to big for very great paper shooting, but is great for low light hunting. I do quite a bit of hunting in timber, I really struggled to see the factory sights really early/late in the day. The Williams F.O. dot is at least a .029" diameter and covers up quite a bit, but sure shows up good in low light. I have to sight very carefully to get very good groups and struggle to get the same hold every time. I suspect that the Frontier lube and Ballistol/water lube are capable of having them all touch if I had a finer target sight. I would use a 6'o clock hold but I grew up putting the front sight over the target and when hunting I seem to always instinctively revert to that in the heat of the moment, so I just don't bother adjusting the sights for a 6'o clock hold.
I seem to do best with the target pictured, having the horizontal and vertical lines gives me a good reference to try to center the front sight in the middle a bit easier.
With a factory black front post I do like to put a bit of fingernail polish on the very top edge of the post. Florescent green or white shows up the best to me in low light. I normally use the green since it is a good reference on white paper targets.

Outstanding! I've never been a fan of beeswax in any patch lubes. Just not really a reason for it unless you're making a conical bullet. Stuff just builds up in the bore. Glad to see great results like with with my lube as well!

Latest posts

Back