Got my rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I picked up my CVA Scout .45-70 today. Nice handling rifle. I put a scope on it and going to shoot it some as a CF for a bit until the conversion. I told my dealer I was going to get it converted to smokeless muzzleloader and he told me that I might want to hold off. He heard rumors that PA Game Commission is going to be voting on a proposal to go straight wall cartridge for the early muzzleloader season.

PA Game Commission is going to be voting on a proposal to go straight wall cartridge for the early muzzleloader season.
Thats what happened in Michigan Bronko. But they allowed straight wall cartridges for the entire MZ season. So effectively Michigan does not have a dedicated MZ season. Instead of the peace and tranquility of the occasional single shot you have the potential bam, bam, bam, bam, bam until the guns empty.

peace and tranquility of the occasional single shot you have the potential bam, bam, bam, bam, bam until the guns empty.
I like to listen to all of the shotgunners in this area rattling off 3,4,5 shots and still missing, only for me to hear the F-bomb from a half mile away. Maybe forty years ago I got to wondering why I toted a pump with 5 shots when all I ever used was one. At that juncture I began toting my muzzies afield and have never looked back. Sidelocks first, then I bought into the inlines. Today I have three primary inlines that use BH209 plus I have the Optima pistol and I have the Patriot smokeless. The nephew shows up for opener with all his fire power in a Savage 220 bolt and I have yet to hear him shoot any less than three times at a deer. He has one heck of a time trying to understand how I can go bang.... and have a deer to dress out.

Bottom line, that one shots simply makes one a better hunter. Congrats on your new toy Bronco!

Thats what happened in Michigan Bronko. But they allowed straight wall cartridges for the entire MZ season. So effectively Michigan does not have a dedicated MZ season. Instead of the peace and tranquility of the occasional single shot you have the potential bam, bam, bam, bam, bam until the guns empty.
Fortunately PA will still have its traditional flintlock season right after Christmas. I hope that never changes.

All this talk about the CVA Scout got me thinking of the possibility of finding someone who has one in 450 Bushmaster and would want to trade for Knight Elite 50 cal with t hole stock,and regular stock. You guys think that may be a possibility..
Possible, sure. Those Scouts and Hunters aren't terribly expensive, tho, if you keep a watch for them, i see decent deals on them occasionally.

I put a 4-16x42 Vortex scope on my 45-70 Scout. It is dialed in out to 300 yds with the BDC hash marks. I christened the gun last year by taking a big 8 pointer at my buddy's farm out in Iowa. Shot him at 220 yds.
Mine has about 2.5 to 3 Lbs trigger pull as well. Great, accurate little gun for the money.
I will be taking it to Iowa again this year.

I have the Scout .450 BM in the bronze cerakote. Beautiful gun with a surprisingly great trigger and sub moa with the Hornady Custom 250gr FTX.

I had two of those CVA Scouts in 450 BM, one stainless and one bronze cerakote. I kept the bronze cerakote and sold the stainless. Both rifles initially shot a little loose and tightened up significantly after about 15-20 shots. I do not believe these barrels are hand lapped given the low price of the rifle so I chose to clean my barrel after each shot with Bore Tech Cu+2 copper remover for the first 10 shots. That stuff is great by the way. I initially had a little copper showing on my patch for the first 5-10 shots on both rifles but after that no more copper and the rifle went from a little over 1 inch at 100yds to about 3/4.

My buddy zeroed his CVA 450 at the same time as me. His rifle took about 40 rounds to settle in using the same cleaning method I did. He had copper showing for well over 20 rounds before he could get sub moa and a copper free patch.

Here's a great video on the CVA Scout 45/70 sml conversion.

Last edited:
Got the new rings put on the rifle and too it out to sight it in. Took 3 shots to get it in bull at 25 yds after the bore sight then moved target out to 100 yards. 1st 2 shots touching high right, adjusted scope and over compensated and had to readjust. Group size started opening up so I waited 15 mins. Passed the time by putting up a new target. After cooling I took a shot and put it almost dead center in the 1" bull. Apparently this rifle get fussy when the barrel heats up which is no big deal. The 45-70 ain't a plinking rifle. But to be honest I'm really pleased with it. Its pretty light and with the brake the recoil is about like a .243.
I'm holding off on the cinversion until I see what the PGC is going to do with the early muzzleloader season.

I doubt that Pa would ever have an early straight wall cartridge season. Even if they did a smokeless will pretty much outshoot any straight wall. That’s the reason I got into smokeless, skirt the straight wall here in Md. Hell I don’t even hunt in a shotgun county😁

Back