Got my rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had two of those CVA Scouts in 450 BM, one stainless and one bronze cerakote. I kept the bronze cerakote and sold the stainless. Both rifles initially shot a little loose and tightened up significantly after about 15-20 shots. I do not believe these barrels are hand lapped given the low price of the rifle so I chose to clean my barrel after each shot with Bore Tech Cu+2 copper remover for the first 10 shots. That stuff is great by the way. I initially had a little copper showing on my patch for the first 5-10 shots on both rifles but after that no more copper and the rifle went from a little over 1 inch at 100yds to about 3/4.

My buddy zeroed his CVA 450 at the same time as me. His rifle took about 40 rounds to settle in using the same cleaning method I did. He had copper showing for well over 20 rounds before he could get sub moa and a copper free patch.

Here's a great video on the CVA Scout 45/70 sml conversion.

I lapped my barrel before I even shot it with Montana Xtreme bore polish. 1st 2 shots at 100 yds were touching!

I would suggest trying Hornady's Leverevolution 325 grain FTX ammo for that gun. It shoots great from my 45-70 Scout.
Jack you're right. I had a few left over when I tried them in my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun and they didn't shoot very well.
I loaded 6 each with 42. 44, and 46 gr of H4198. (47.9 was listed as max)
The 42 an 44 gr charges shot fairly good but the 46 gr charge was just a tad over an inch at 100 yards.
I'm thinking this just might be my new favorite rifle. I may have to get another for the conversion!

Latest posts

Back