...GREAT DAY AT THE ...................

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer1

Reaction score
:D  8)  :)
Weather was great :!:High 50's with a little wind. Sun and clouds but it didn't matter. The day was great for shooting.
First off I have to say, BLACKHORN 209 REALLY IMPRESSED the ^%$#@ out of me. :!: :!: No swabbing between shots. Easy loading. Really light clean up and  for me that means, not using 30/40 or so patches at the range for swabbing and cleaning. The powder is  uniform so I may just use the u-view instead of the u-view and scale. Accuracy :scratch:Well you be the judge of that :!: :!: .

The large bull are the first 3 shots with Blakhorn 209 100grs, Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ 290 GR. and Fiocchi 616 209 Primers. The top is the second 3 shots. This time I used Federal 209 A'S. I used those Fiocchi 's again for those 3 shots in that low right target. Blackhorn is no were near APP/JSG. It's like night and day :!: :!:  :!: I did find out that this powder needs the bullet to be firmly seated and having a clear channel in your breech plug to eliminate any firing problems.
All in all, I'm very impressed. I have to give a lot of the credit to all the members who replied to my posts and to Carlos. He set me up with everything I needed and he even gave me a modified B/P  for my accura. :cheers: :cheers:
Thanks guys
Ray

Shooting was from the 50 yard line. My scope is zeroed for JSG and I didn't readjusted. One more time at the range and not only will my scope change, my signature will also :scratch:

I just knew you would love the Blackhorn. I will never use anything else in my Accura.

Hawg I'm glad you had a great day at the range today and I knew you would love the BH 209. I'm happy for you, just remember to clean that B/P flash hole channel out every time you get get home from the range. That is some great shooting.
Carlos

Hold on pard. I agree that BH 209 is the best powder. BUT BUT..you were using APP powder before.

I shot 65 rounds yesterday with APP, and never swabbed once. As a matter of fact. The more I shot. Te easier it loaded. When I was done. I used one wet patch and three dry patches to make the bore sparkle. I've shot BH 209 enough to know it won't do any better. Really, not as good.

So, lets put cleaning and swabbing aside for now. What exactly did you think was better? Surely you were getting the same groups with JSG?

LOL Awesome shooting!

Blackhorn really has changed us and spoiled us greatly. No longer will be spend time swabbing between shots!

Colorado, Considering how with American Pioneer you can lose up to 400+ FPS by not compressing it correctly, its a huge advantage.

FrontierGander said:
LOL Awesome shooting!

Blackhorn really has changed us and spoiled us greatly. No longer will be spend time swabbing between shots!

Colorado, Considering how with American Pioneer you can lose up to 400+ FPS by not compressing it correctly, its a huge advantage.

I agree that BH is the best powder out right now. I won't use anything else to hunt with. However, it's got nothing on how clean APP burns.

Use Winchester W209 primers and you may get a crud ring. I have to swab between shots or use my range rod and force through it. Not fun but it'd have to be done in the field on a hunt.

BH209 i just have to give a few minutes between shots to keep the barrel cool.

:D
Pete,
I shot APP/JSG for a few yrs and I was the crusader when it came to defending the powder because of moisture problems or speed or reverse crud ring (at the muzzle). I will tell you what made me turn to blackhorn. I never knew that you could either weigh the powder or measure the powder. I did both. I measured the powder in my u-view and then weighed it. I wanted consistency and believe me I got. You have seen those pics I've posted. Accuracy was and is no problem. Problem was the size of the granuals. You could fill your u-view with 100 grains and then weigh it. You should get 85 grains weighted. I wasn't getting that anymore. Because the kitty litter was so different in size, You can't get 100 grains exactly in that u-view every time.I would fill it every time the same way but I was getting ( on the scale) 81 OR 87 or 83 grains. It got so bad I couldn't get the 100 grains in the tubes that I had been using since I started.
This blackhorn as you know is uniform. I could use my u-view or scale but I don't need both.
Hope I've answered your question and that I explained it ok. :scratch:

Ray.

I agree 100% Hawg.

With Blackhorn209, i rarely go over 2 grains difference when using a volume measure.

Another + is that when you get to the bottom of the can, there's no fine powder that will change the burn rate.

Ok, I was doing what you guys weren't.

First off I was shooting the Renegade with a PRB. That keeps the barrel cleaner, and you never get a crud ring at the bottom or top of the barrel.

Second..I was using 3F APP. It actually flows better than BH 209 for me. I base this on not being able to use BH in my flask. It wouldn't pour at all. The APP worked fine.

With that said. I'm back to Swiss in my Renegade, and of course BH in my Omega. Yes, I have the Omega back. It will be my hunting gun from now on. (don't ask..long story)

I bought some PB Aero Lite 250gr to try in my Omega with BH 209. As soon as the snow goes away i'll test them. I know. I love the Thors, but I was in the gun shop today and the Aero Lites were calling to me. I didn't want to be rude and not answer. :D

LOL well it will be fun to see how the omega handled the Aerolites. I know about the story behind the omega, i hate when deals fall through BUT, what can you do. u know?

You know, i was thinking about this thread this morning and thats pretty darn awesome to see what even with BH209, primers can affect your group size!

I am going to have to try some Winchester W209's sometime against the CCI Mags.

Back