Great day to go to the range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With temps reaching the upper 50?s and the sun shining it was a WONDERFUL day to be outside and head to the range. A little muddy, but I can deal with that. Here is my target from shooting today, and on Saturday. Today I went back, because I hate leaving the range frustrated, and yesterday I just couldn?t get things right, but I made A LOT of progress today and so I?m happy. Just thought I?d share the results. All loads were shot with 42 gr. 4759 and Fed 209A primers. Unless noted wait time was 10 min between shots. I will show different groups by colored circles. Stole the idea from someone, but it works very well. Sometimes I couldn?t get the circles exactly where they needed to be, but I think it?s still very effective. The square is 2? if I remember correctly. These were the first shots this spring since a complete cleaning of the gun.

Saturday?s groups in order shot:
Red circles on left - 250gr .452 XTP blems with red crush rib, don?t know which was first shot
Red circles on right - 250gr .452 XTP blems with short black mmp
Blue circles on left - 300gr .458 remingtons with black crush rib, the top circles was the 4th shot with no wait time. I needed to go and gun was loaded.

Today?s group (target flipped upside down from yesterday:
Green circles on right - 300gr .458 remingtons with black crush rib, 1st shot was on the low one

Picture1.jpg

This won?t be a hunting load, but it?s cheap to shoot and easy to measure. I think I?ll stick with it for awhile and mess around with the powder charge. In addition I have made a major change to my rear bag. It cost me all of $4 this morning, but it really helps. The first rest setup is from yesterday, and the second is with my new investment. I think I?ll keep it. We shoot down to the berms and I always had to stack things under the rear bag to get the gun pointed low enough. You would thing a roll of tape and a stapler would be stable. But it really wobbles. And that is one of the better combinations I've come up with, usually it's worse. :shock:

DSC00748.jpg

DSC00747.jpg

Those 300gr .458 Remingtons are shooting GREAT! I'd hunt with that load!

Back