Green Mountain vs Colerain Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf172

Reaction score
I promise last post asking for advise and opinion on this subject. I have 2 chooses in barrels for my Underhammer build from the kit by Pecatonica Rifle. I'll be using the Underhammer for both target and deer hunting here in Indiana. Target shooting from a bench and hunting from log or cross sticks so really not worried about weight. Prefer using patched round ball with Triple7 in FF or FFF powder with
70-90gr. Here are my barrel options:
1) 15/16X36" .54 cal Green Mountain full octagon barrel with a 1-70" twist
2) 1X36" .54 cal Colerain full octagon barrel with a 1-56 twist
My other option would be to totally change calibers and go to a .50 but I have to see if Pecatonica has a 1X36" Green Mountain barrel in .50cal. YEs I do prefer the Green Mountain barrel s mainly because of the slower twist. Looking at ballistics between a .50 and .54 at say 50yds using 90gr FFF GOEX there isn't much difference and both would probably take down the size of deers we have here in Indiana. The ballistics are:
So there you have it, sorry this post is so long. let me hear your advise and opinions please.

I would not fret over one or the other. However, I have a 33" GM 50 cal. 1/66" on my Hawken. I dont like it for hunting at all. It downright sucks sitting in a tree with that long barrel. I might go as far as buy a custom 54 cal. and have it only 24" just for hunting.

I would not fret over one or the other. However, I have a 33" GM 50 cal. 1/66" on my Hawken. I dont like it for hunting at all. It downright sucks sitting in a tree with that long barrel. I might go as far as buy a custom 54 cal. and have it only 24" just for hunting.
Well I gave up on the whole Underhammer build. I know it would have been a great gun but I just couldn't see spending close to $1100+. Thinking more of just buying a factory completed ML like the Lyman Great plains and save $200-300. Anyway have a good weekend

Nice but way too much. I'm actually look at a .54 cal Lyman/Pedersoli Great Plains rifle. $805 out the door.

At 805 Bucks you are almost to the Rocky Mountain Hawken! If it were me i would Wait & Save up the extra and get the Rocky Mountain Hawken. I believe you will see a BIG difference Between the 2, The Rocky Mountain Hawken is one of Pedersoli’s “Flag Ship” Sidelock Muzzleloaders. I handled one at Buffalo Arms, they are REALLY NICE!

I have seen several for sale at $850-1000 lately that were listed as unfired or with 10 shots or less. I too have handled one and there is no comparison.

At 805 Bucks you are almost to the Rocky Mountain Hawken! If it were me i would Wait & Save up the extra and get the Rocky Mountain Hawken. I believe you will see a BIG difference Between the 2, The Rocky Mountain Hawken is one of Pedersoli’s “Flag Ship” Sidelock Muzzleloaders. I handled one at Buffalo Arms, they are REALLY NICE!
I handled one too 😁 they are nice indeed. Except the sight sucks for my eyes.

Only thing about the Pedesoli Hawken is that they should come with a Radio Flyer wagon as they ae heavy. Do like the german silver front sight.

I would not fret over one or the other. However, I have a 33" GM 50 cal. 1/66" on my Hawken. I dont like it for hunting at all.
LOL. I have the same barrel and loved it when my eyes could see the iron sights. The long distance between the front and rear sight helped me with better groups. I also found it an advantage for deer drives. The heavy barrel swings nice and makes it easier to track a target. IMHO

Snap, that makes sense , but when I am in a tree, I have a heck of a time swinging around and many times there is a branch or something in the way.

Snap, that makes sense , but when I am in a tree, I have a heck of a time swinging around and many times there is a branch or something in the way.
Likewise that makes sense. I failed to tell you at the end of a day of deer drives my arms are tired from the heavy barrel. LOL

Back