GRRW for sale

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAl52

Reaction score
I know conner knows who I am talking about and so a  few others may also. I just bought a GRRW Hawken off of another sight for what I think is a really good price. But at the same time I was alerted to a Leman Indian rifle by GRRW in 54 caliber. I bid on this rifle at what I was advised would be a good deal. It is on Gunbroker and on the east coast. Im personal friends with Phil Meek and he was the one who alerted me to that rifle. I put a bid on it and after bidding this GRRW Hawken came up for sale. I jumped at the chance to buy the Hawken and still had the high bid on the Leman. Im now blown away at what the Leman sold for. It sold for almost 4 times what I had bid. Phil and myself are amazed. It sold for over 3600.00. Wow is all I can say. Al

Good info. Thanks. 3,600... 
Was there anything special about that rifle or was it just a normal GRRW?

Of course, you are gonna post pictures to drool over, yes? :bounce:

And, I am curious about what you consider a 'good price' to be for a GRRW Hawken.
Sounds like you found a deal. Understand if you choose to keep that close to your vest, 
but still curious.

Colonel
The rifle that sold was a full stock Leman Indian Trade rifle. When Phil sent me the link there wasnt a comment from him that it was something special just that he had a couple of those and he really liked the way they handled for hunting. I also made a comment to him about this and he says it is the highest price he has ever seen paid for a GRRW rifle. As far as mine goes I paid 1400 shipped. Its a 58 caliber 34 inch one inch barrel Hawken. Its in very good condition only had 25 rounds down the pipe. Al

Wow. There were 24 bids on that one. 
$3,622.00 Ending Bid 

Starting Bid   $499.00

I knew that the revival of GRRWCA would increase interest in GRRW rifles. 
This is some strong evidence of that, I think. BELOW IS THE RIFLE IN QUESTION:
XPt1ck.jpg

Leman Indian rifle by GRRW in 54 caliber as shown on Gunbroker

I think you did well on your Hawken given how little use it had and the renewed interest. When do we get to see it?

01110.jpg

01310.jpg

Here is a couple pics Colonel. I dont have the gun yet but the process is taking place for it to be sent as I have already sent hime the funds. Its a Gardell Powell gun made in 1977. Al

WOW!
Fantastic rifle but just a tad out of my price range.
A pretty big "tad".

http://www.custommuzzleloaders.com/knives.html

Scrol down to the Kauri wood handle skinning knife, mine also, the google Kauri wood.

You'll be astonished, jaw dropping, shocking, unbelievable, ...............I've been reading
too much a.o.l. :x

http://www.ancientkauri.co.nz/zealand_ancient_swamp_kauri_wood/

kauri wood disappeared long ago and is only found preserved in swamps in New
Zealand.

45,000 years it's been buried.

That is a loooooooooooooong time.

Want a kauri wood table?

Got a spare hundred grand?

I don't. I did but not any longer.

BigAl52 said:
Its a Gardell Powell gun made in 1977. Al
You're in for a treat. My GRRW is a 58 cal Hawken made in roughly the same time period by Ron Paull.  It's the finest shooting muzzleloader I've been around, and certainly the best in my rack. Differences in mine: It's barrel is 36" and tapered from 1 1/8" at the breech to 1" at the muzzle.  The rifle just tops 12# and has a dark stock, but balances very well due to the tapered barrel.

One thing to know about those GRRW barrels:  They're "choked." According to Ron, the way in which they bored them resulted in a slightly smaller diameter at the muzzle than at the breech. That also somehow helps account for their superior accuracy. But it comes with some fiddling on your part. On mine a bare .575" ball will not drop past the crown and a bare .570" ball will hang on the slightest irregularity.  I followed the standard formula for GRRW barrels and use a .562" ball with ticking patches lubed with Track of the Wolf mink tallow lube.  It's nice and firm when you start the ball, but practically falls down to the powder once you are 2/3 of the way down the bore.  Mine has a real appetite for powder, with its best accuracy at 140 grains of 2f Goex. The extra rifle weight helps tame the recoil a lot, but I mostly shoot it with 120 grains and only a slight loss in accuracy.

Brown Bear
I talked to the guy that has the rifle and he is selling it for a friend. He says its had 25 rounds down it and that guy said it was a shooter. He claims 85 grs of 2f and a 570 ball your good to go. I will see when I get it. This will be the second GRRW gun I have I also have a 50 cal. It shoots very well. Al

I saw yours advertised at Track before you bought it. Then I also saw the pics you posted while sighting in. Its a great looking rifle and I dont blame you for how you feel about selling it. There great shooters. Al

BigAl52

And it's a 'toss-up" as to which shoots best....the below or the Caplock! This one is by Tom Watson over in Georgia and has a .50 Sharon barrel. Tom does great work! This was made prior to me filing down the front sight!

34640608952_09dacaaf8a_c.jpg
Tom Watson Flinter by Sharps Man, on Flickr

BigAl52 said:
Brown Bear
I talked to the guy that has the rifle and he is selling it for a friend. He says its had 25 rounds down it and that guy said it was a shooter. He claims 85 grs of 2f and a 570 ball your good to go. I will see when I get it. This will be the second GRRW gun I have I also have a 50 cal. It shoots very well. Al
The GRRW collectors (Meek included) have run the prices up on these guns in the last few years. At first Phil and another friend were bidding against each other unknowingly, after having done this for some time they started talking to each other and found they were the only two bidding. Now if one is after a GRRW for their collection the other backs off, but its to late now as everyone saw what a like gun sold for and they want the same price.

BigAl52 said:
I know conner knows who I am talking about and so a  few others may also. I just bought a GRRW Hawken off of another sight for what I think is a really good price. But at the same time I was alerted to a Leman Indian rifle by GRRW in 54 caliber.  Al
Al,

Are you going to try and make the 2017 GRRW Rendezvous in Roosevelt Utah this year. If interested contact Phil Meek there's some guys in Colorado talking about car pooling to the event on the Sept. - 22nd travel , 23rd event, 24th travel.  Buck

Gardall Powell, Carl Walker, Lloyd Helms, Les Bennett, Doc White, Neill Fields and several others will be there from the old firm, still building GRRW style guns. A show and tell with some GRRW rare builds and some purchased and sitting in closets will be on display. The old smiths will talk about these guns they built and give a little history of how it went in the day. I have already heard some funny stories from several of the guys, which will be repeated. From there the group will tour Doc Whites shop full of guns under constructions (many different styles from early to late muzzleloaders - he builds everything). Then we go to lunch and after off to Doc's personal shooting range. Should be a full day of activities.

Conner
Phil asked me if I wanted to go and I do but thats a good 8 hour drive for me. Id need to take that Friday off and Im not sure what vacation time I have left at work. As far as prices on guns go and bidding wars I dont have the knowledge to comment. But I can tell you I paid 1400 shipped for this 58 caliber and I dont think you could have one built for that right now. A Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken sells for close to that and Id rather have this GRRW any day over one of those. Al

Kentucky Colonel said:
BigAl52 said:
A Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken sells for close to that and Id rather have this GRRW any day over one of those. Al
Amen.
Oh yeah.

As I've bragged before, I'm the proud owner of an original GRRW Hawken. I've handled the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain several times, always admiring them on the rack and considering a purchase. But I put them back on the rack.

I'm no gun builder genie or Hawken authority, but there is quite a difference in the details and handling between the two. The GRRW's were designed and built from handling and measuring actual Hawkens, but the Pedersoli "feels" like it was built from a photograph or something.  It has more wood here and there and the balance just isn't so good.  Might be some small differences in angles and details here and there, but I'm not smart enough to see them.

But the GRRW's are just a whole lot more gun when it comes to handling.  Given the same price for both, the GRRW would be a no-brainer choice for this user and non-collector.

BigAl52 said:
Conner
Phil asked me if I wanted to go and I do but thats a good 8 hour drive for me. Id need to take that Friday off and Im not sure what vacation time I have left at work. As far as prices on guns go and bidding wars I dont have the knowledge to comment. But I can tell you I paid 1400 shipped for this 58 caliber and I dont think you could have one built for that right now. A Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken sells for close to that and Id rather have this GRRW any day over one of those. Al

With the cost of parts and labor you would have spent approximately $1,800.xx. Your purchase price is about where it should be at this time. Your gun original cost in the $300.xx range back then (the original owner got good interest % on his purchase, better than the banks).

Doc now has a Hawken from the same time period as yours up for sale to the highest bidder. Currently its at $1,200.xx, see: http://whitemuzzleloading.com/on-sale/

GRRW031HawkenFullRght.gif

Just checked and it sold for 1400.00 Im all in at that with shipping included in the price. Al

Back