H&R Huntsman Muzzleloaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hunt with its brother sidekick/heritage muzzleloader. Its a shame they stopped making them. Mine is accurate with just about any bullet I use .

I hunt with its brother sidekick/heritage muzzleloader. Its a shame they stopped making them. Mine is accurate with just about any bullet I use .
That was the stainless updated version right? They came out in 2004ish?

I have a Sidekick 26" and Dad has a 24" Huntsman. He is getting to where it is hard for him to get around in the woods and he is going to be giving up the late season muzzleloader hunting.

I use to have one. Shotgun I sent off to H&R for the conversion. Put in a conversion breech plug adapter for the primers.
I killed a couple of deer with it.
I lean more to sidelocks so I sold it. Kind of wish I had kept it.

Add in a MU breech plug to eliminate the orange primer carriers, its the best thing since sliced bread

Did they have the same breech plug set up as the old Huntsman did. I think the Huntsman's breech plug was just held in with an O-ring right? It's been 30+ years since I've held one? I borrowed a .45 cal Huntsman to hunt with off my father's friend.

Take from a post from Busta the guru on this line of muzzleloaders

If it's a NEF Huntsman .50 caliber, it will have a 2 letter prefix to the serial #. If it is a .50 caliber Huntsman barrel fitted to another frame through the barrel program it could be just about any prefix.

2002 - 2004 use 7/8" Breech Plugs.

NS = 2002
NT = 2003
NU = 2004

2005 on use 5/8"Breech Plugs.

NV = 2005
NW = 2006
NX = 2007

Did they have the same breech plug set up as the old Huntsman did. I think the Huntsman's breech plug was just held in with an O-ring right? It's been 30+ years since I've held one? I borrowed a .45 cal Huntsman to hunt with off my father's friend.

The best place for info on H&R/NEF muzzleloaders is the Huntsman/Sidekick section under H&R on Graybeard's forums.

H&R moved from the o ring push-in plug to a 7/8" diameter screw-in plug that used plastic primer carriers and then changed to a 5/8" diameter plug that still used the carriers.

Carrierless plugs were available from Metrics Unlimited and also PrecisionRifles.com (PRBullets). Metrics Unlimited lost their supplier due to retirement and only have a few 5/8" plugs left. I don't think they are working overly hard to find another supplier due to low volume of sales.

Anyone still hunt with an H&R Huntsman inline?

Dad did for the past several years and took a few deer during our muzzleloader season. But he just said a couple weeks ago that he would be selling it. He doesn't get around as well as he used to and just doesn't want to get out during that late season with the snow and ice anymore.

I picked up a Sidekick two years ago and took a doe two years in a row during the late season with it. The Sidekick has a different frame so that you could not fit other H&R barrels to it.

The best place for info on H&R/NEF muzzleloaders is the Huntsman/Sidekick section under H&R on Graybeard's forums.

H&R moved from the o ring push-in plug to a 7/8" diameter screw-in plug that used plastic primer carriers and then changed to a 5/8" diameter plug that still used the carriers.

Carrierless plugs were available from Metrics Unlimited and also PrecisionRifles.com (PRBullets). Metrics Unlimited lost their supplier due to retirement and only have a few 5/8" plugs left. I don't think they are working overly hard to find another supplier due to low volume of sales.
This is good to know...thanks!

Nightwolf I will add to ported45 said - Graybeards handi rifle forum is great info all things handi rifle. In the centerfire forum stickys you will find how to do your own trigger job. Great detailed instructions - I have done a few myself.

Nightwolf I will add to ported45 said - Graybeards handi rifle forum is great info all things handi rifle. In the centerfire forum stickys you will find how to do your own trigger job. Great detailed instructions - I have done a few myself.
Thanks! They are starting to become more appealing to me again. :lewis:

For real on grey beard . I praised the MU plug at the very start of production when busta was involved in the creation and old grey beard took offense ,thinking I was advertising on his site if I Recall. Some folks like the power trip of being an internet moderator. He can go pound salt.

Latest posts

Back