Let's clarify, inline pioneers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcgiiver1

Reaction score
I keep hearing that Tony Knight pioneered the inline muzzleloader in 1985 . Not so. It was then that he saved a fair number of deer an untimely death, by hunters forgetting to turn the screw on the bolt which allowed his gun to fire. In actuality, about 1971, H & R company, pioneered a break action inline muzzleloader based on their break action line of rifles and shotguns. Those muzzleloaders were named the H & R Huntsman and were available in .45, caliber, .58 caliber and 12 gauge shotgun.

Mc, this thread provoced me to do a little reading on Tony Knight. Very interesting man. Skilled at so many levels. Seems he had hid heart in the right place.

I keep hearing that Tony Knight pioneered the inline muzzleloader in 1985 . Not so. It was then that he saved a fair number of deer an untimely death, by hunters forgetting to turn the screw on the bolt which allowed his gun to fire. In actuality, about 1971, H & R company, pioneered a break action inline muzzleloader based on their break action line of rifles and shotguns. Those muzzleloaders were named the H & R Huntsman and were available in .45, caliber, .58 caliber and 12 gauge shotgun.
If you forget to turn out the secondary safety, it is the firearm's fault??????? Me I just put a little blue Loctite and leave them unscrewed. I have also used Teflon pipe dope. Knights are great rifles and usually excellent shooters.

Well actually the first Inline was a Flintlock , called a Ferguson and was used some in Revolutionary War

I keep hearing that Tony Knight pioneered the inline muzzleloader in 1985 .
Heard this from who?
Was it from people that write product update articles on muzzleloaders?
Was it from educated Muzzleloader Historians?

Please cite your source(s)?

Tony definitely popularized the in-line concept..no he wasn’t the first one..but the light rifles were indeed the first ones to hit the market head on successfully and the rifles were very well build and looked great. I still have an mk-85 dated from 1986 and it shoots better than most off the shelf rifles today. Also the comment on forgetting to unscrew the safety..that’s not the firearms fault or the builders fault..that falls on the shooter not knowing his own weapon

Tony Knight was a hero to muzzloading. Not for the rifle, but for the fight against the ATF. If it wasn't for Knight every inline purchase would require a trip to the FFL. His lobbying efforts also opened up muzzleloader seasons to inlines.

Heard this from who?
Was it from people that write product update articles on muzzleloaders?
Was it from educated Muzzleloader Historians?

Please cite your source(s)?
It was an online article about Knight rifles, but it seems to be repeated in many articles .

If you forget to turn out the secondary safety, it is the firearm's fault??????? Me I just put a little blue Loctite and leave them unscrewed. I have also used Teflon pipe dope. Knights are great rifles and usually excellent shooters.
I agree. I've hunted with Knight inlines since 1993, not once EVER did I forget to turn the secondary safety, nor did it ever engage on its own.
The only time I really use that is pulling/lowering my rifle from a stand. Heck of alot easier than removing the cap! I personally love that concept on Knights. 99% of the time it stays off. I am sure some folks messed up, but I doubt it was a ton.

Tony was an icon for the ML and hunting industry for sure. And while he didn't officially invent the inline, he sure did bring them to the forefront with his rifles. We are much better off because of him and his efforts across the board!

I agree. I've hunted with Knight inlines since 1993, not once EVER did I forget to turn the secondary safety, nor did it ever engage on its own.
The only time I really use that is pulling/lowering my rifle from a stand. Heck of alot easier than removing the cap! I personally love that concept on Knights. 99% of the time it stays off. I am sure some folks messed up, but I doubt it was a ton.

Tony was an icon for the ML and hunting industry for sure. And while he didn't officially invent the inline, he sure did bring them to the forefront with his rifles. We are much better off because of him and his efforts across the board!
Well said!

The secondary safety on the Knights also permits dry firing without harm to striker or nipple.
My only critique is the removable breech plug. To me, it's a solution in search of a problem.
One of the reasons I'm so VERY fond of my fixed plug Firehawk.

Tony Knight was a hero to muzzloading. Not for the rifle, but for the fight against the ATF. If it wasn't for Knight every inline purchase would require a trip to the FFL. His lobbying efforts also opened up muzzleloader seasons to inlines.
I’d love to hear more about this, any leads on some information?

Back