H&R Sidekick Powder Recommendation

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudcat

Reaction score
I have an H&R Sidekick, I use Triple Seven Pellets but have gone "cap only" at a buck and feel like there is a pause between the trigger pull and fire. Does anybody have any advice?

If anyone feels really good about their cleaning procedures and would be willing to summarize those procedures, that would be great. I typically wing it and don't follow the same procedure twice. I realize that this would / could lead to inconsistency.

Mudcat said:
I have an H&R Sidekick, I use Triple Seven Pellets but have gone "cap only" at a buck and feel like there is a pause between the trigger pull and fire. Does anybody have any advice?

If anyone feels really good about their cleaning procedures and would be willing to summarize those procedures, that would be great. I typically wing it and don't follow the same procedure twice. I realize that this would / could lead to inconsistency.

Get rid of the T7 pellets and get pyrodex pellets or loose pyrodex. T7 doesnt ignight as well as pyrodex and my fathers huntsman (same gun) hang fires with T7 pellets but ignights pyrodex perfectly.

Simple remove the breach plug and from the muzzle end run patches with your favorite cleaner down the barrel till they come out clean. Then run a couple dry patches. Use toothbrush to clean the breach plug then dry it off. Use teflon tape or breach plug grease on the threads and screw it back in. Take a dry patch and run it all the way down and fire off 1 or 2 primers and the gun is clean and ready to hunt with. If your going to store it then run a patch down with rem oil or a good quality lube.

I had a Sidekick .50. Really a great shooting rifle. I use ffg Triple Se7en loose and never had a problem whatsoever..

big6x6 said:
I had a Sidekick .50. Really a great shooting rifle. I use ffg Triple Se7en loose and never had a problem whatsoever..

It might just be the pellets it has problems with then? My fathers hangs for about 1 second then fires consistantly. Its instant with pyrodex pellets.

Triple 7

I have a sidekick .50 cal and love it. I use triple 7 fffg loose powder and have no problems with it. Would recommend it 100%.

MUDCAT

GO LOOSE POWDER 2FG 777 OR PYRODEX RS THIS SHOULD SOLVE THE PROB.

I WILL PM YOU MY CLEANING CHART OF WHAT I DO EVERY TIME AND NO RUST - NOHANG FIRES - NO PROBBLEMS

RON
LB1

Back