Happy boy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I headed out to the gun club this morning in spite of the wind that was working hard at spoiling my day. I set up on a 100 yard target and got cozied in and ran five shoots thru the new Accura V2. As I walked down to the target I knew I had a decent group but seeing the group had me just about giddy. A 3X9 Nikon Pro Staff helped out with the aiming.

hTd1Hx0.jpg

The two rings cover 2" and that top shot was thru a clean barrel. There are three in the group under shot number 1. Number five I have no excuse for except maybe the wind got into it or the barrel was getting a bit warm, but in the woods I'm not going to get to shot number five anyway. And on a deer inside of the 100 yards the critter would be history given the group here.

I've run almost a hundred rounds thru this Accura. The first 15 shots were 150 grains of Pyrodex pellets, all others since then have been BH 209 loads of 77 grains weighed under a green sabot holding a .430, 300 grain XTP. I've read where guns need to be "shot in" and I can now see where this is true. The groups have tightened up a lot from out-of-the-box-new, but this group was a real treat to find.

I had the Optima pistol along today as well and was shooting BH209 loads of 63 grains weighed under green crush rib sabots holding a 240 grain .430 EXTP. This gun too has tightened up group-wise but the wind got ahold of the target as I was taking it down so there's no pretty group to show, but at the 50 yards I was shooting at my best 5 shot group was not much larger than the group seen here. The pistol has 2X7 optics on it and has been pretty decent with accuracy over the last year but I see the groups shrinking now with the loads using the 209.

I don't know if it just me but the 209 seems to heat the barrels a little faster and I need to slow down the repeat shots/loading. Still, I am really liking the 209 as a powder....all aspects of it....and super enjoy finding groups like this one shown.

Latest posts

Back