Hard to load second shot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use number 11 primers and 777/FFF loose powder and have no problems shooting 10 rounds at the range with no swabbing. I don't know why people think they need 209's in a muzzleloader, I only use them reloading shotgun shells.
If I am not mistaken the No 11 is a cap not a primer. Caps have much less brissance or oomph to them than a standard 209 primer. The muzzleloading specific primers are the same way having less brissance so it makes perfect sense.

The 209 makes sense because it’s simpler, more reliable, available, commonly manufactured and with some of the subs like blackhorn 209 you actually need a strong 209 primer to fire it off.

If I am not mistaken the No 11 is a cap not a primer. Caps have much less brissance or oomph to them than a standard 209 primer. The muzzleloading specific primers are the same way having less brissance so it makes perfect sense.

The 209 makes sense because it’s simpler, more reliable, available, commonly manufactured and with some of the subs like blackhorn 209 you actually need a strong 209 primer to fire it off.
Agreed. As far as I know 209 shotshell primers are mandatory for igniting black horn.

I recently bought a new CVA Optima 50 cal and after firing the first shot from a clean barrel, the second loading will only ram to about 2 inches from where needed.Crud ring keeps me from getting it all the way down without really hammering it the rest of the way. Any helpful suggestions?

I shoot an Optima V2 with white hots and Hornady bore drivers. I can shoot 3-4 shots before wet patching/dry patching. Like everyone said, if its tight, you gotta clean it.

A number 11 cap is all I need when using T7/FFF powder and can reload at least 10 times without using a patch. Much easier cleanup when I get home. Have fun and enjoy your muzzleloader no matter what you use.

PS: I've been using 209 primers since 1976 for reloading shotgun shells.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back