Harvester Scorpion vs Barnes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scorpion PT Gold vs Barnes TMZ/T-EZ on Whitetail

• Scorpion PT Gold

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Barnes TMZ/T-EZ

Votes: 30 85.7%

• Total voters
Yes, and I told him my opinion. The PT is not a bad bullet but i've seen pictures of it breaking up. I trust the Barnes more. As long as it's pushed fast enough the performance is perfect. I wouldn't choose the PT just because it shot a 1/2" better group. For target shooting yes but not a hunting load.

He may be just hunting for deer but you never know when you need a shot on a grumpy bear.

Just my .02

Harvester PT Gold 300gr
Why? Barnes $1.17/ bullet max purchase is 24/PAC $27.99 including sabot
Harvester .75¢ / Bullet Max purchase 50/box $25.99 and sabots 50/box $8.99 total of 50 $34.98
The PT Gold shoots and kills very well.
I actually picked the harvester 44/50 300gr white lightning, same bullet just a little better ballistics and it's my proven DRT go to for a 50 cal.

Harvester PT Gold 300gr
Why? Barnes $1.17/ bullet max purchase is 24/PAC $27.99 including sabot
Harvester .75¢ / Bullet Max purchase 50/box $25.99 and sabots 50/box $8.99 total of 50 $34.98
The PT Gold shoots and kills very well.
I actually picked the harvester 44/50 300gr white lightning, same bullet just a little better ballistics and it's my proven DRT go to for a 50 cal.

I want to try the white lightning but I haven’t gotten around to calling them to get samples.

I've used both. I noted in earlier post I felt the PT 300 was lacking as far as blood trails go. Never had that issue with a Barnes. I have so many PT 300's I have continued to deer hunt with them and found they did a better job for me pushed harder.

Has anybody weighed their PT’s. The last pack of the 300 grain bullets weighed about 276 grains. They’ve shot well for me anyway, but it makes me wonder about quality control. I’m switching to the 300 grain XTP’s. My Optima is shooting near 1” groups with them.

Since you have all the answers, Greg. Explain why he asked which one we'd use?

If you really want to know that Pete why don’t you ask him? Kind of stupid to ask me why someone else chooses a bullet

This is the last I’m gonna reply to you because talking with you is like beating a dead horse.
Not wasting anymore of my time with you

Greg

Last edited:
Has anybody weighed their PT’s. The last pack of the 300 grain bullets weighed about 276 grains. They’ve shot well for me anyway, but it makes me wonder about quality control. I’m switching to the 300 grain XTP’s. My Optima is shooting near 1” groups with them.

That's a huge difference! do they make a 275gr version? I'd be emailing the company on that.

Rainier was making them for Harvester but Rainier went out of business around a year ago or so.

Latest posts

Back