have bought all my seed to start for next spring and summer garden

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Until a late freeze drops in lol. Happens every year by me. Usually 2 feet of snow in late march or early april.

I bought most all of mine as well about that time. I started my perennial herbs/spices early as they are slow to start and grow, but will be starting my tomatoes and peppers in about mid-March. I don't know if it will work, usually start them too early and then have to re-pot more than once. The Weather people are saying that our sub zero temps will continue till mid March this year. I am almighty tired of winter. I am planting more and more perennials as well as more fruit and berries. Some of the perennials won't survive here, but I raise them as annuals. I am leaning to natives and location friendly fruiting stuff so that I don't continue to over produce the annual garden stuff.

Our Growing season here in North idaho is Short, I bet the Ground is froze 2ft deep or so right now, We have about 4 ft of snow here, 3 ft in town, Temps have been Down in the Teens, to Just barely Above 0 this Whole month of Feb, our snow is usually gone by Mid to Late April, It’s not safe to plant anything here til the Last week of May, A Frost is very likely to happen all through May, Most folks around here plant the 1st week of June, The Ground is stil Cold, so Plants that have been started indoors do nothing more than Survive when taken out and Planted in the Cold Ground, They “Hang up” and don’t really grow (I prefer Pots just above Ground, They do the Best here) By the End of June, 1st of July Everything really starts to Take off. July and August are usually HOT Here. So in Reality we only have 2 Quality Growing months here, July and August. By the 1st of Sept you can feel, and See the change, We start losing light fast, Our first Frost usually happens by Mid Sept, I have seen it Frost Hard the 1st week of Sept.

Over here its been a crap shoot for weather conditions, every year it seems like its different. Have planted the potatoes three times this passed year with all the moisture.

I just planted my peppers and tomatoes, waiting till the end of March to plant some others. I had some bad seed for the oregano, and Honeyberries, and the cumin didn't grow at all. I have been moving a lot of garden space into productive perennials for some years now. I keep having to send the dog out to inform the deer that the wild plums, service berries, aronia(wild cherry), hazelnuts, etc . are not intended for deer fodder. At least not completely... it's hard here to get a tree past the 3-4" stage. I loose more fruit trees and bushes/shrubs to deer than anything else. I have about 100 acres planted to good cover and food stuff for them so I figure that I should be able to keep the household stuff for myself and family and those around who need it. Had about 80 deer on one side of my house and when I looked out the west side, there were about 25-30 more. Not complaining though... the dog has a good relationship with them.

Latest posts

Back