having trouble loading FPB'S

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balboa2151

Reaction score
hi all i purchased a knight KRB several months ago and i have been waiting for the FPB'S to come out. went to the shooting range on saturday and when i try to load the FPB into my KRB i am having a tough time getting it started,like it doesn't want to fit into the gun's barrel. is anyone else having this problem? but when i did get the FPB into the barrel the outcome was phenomenal. at 50 yards i shot the center circle out of the target with four shots,and at 100 yards i shot three shots and i was 1 inch below the target everytime using two 777 pellets which equal 100grains and the weight of the FPB is 350 grains,WOW! IF anyone can give me any feedback why they are so hard to load i would great appreciate it. thanks rich

I too am using the FPB's in my KRB, so I know what you are talking about. The problem is that the rear "cup" section of the bullet is flared bigger than bore diameter making it difficult to start. A short bullet starter like this should help:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Just add a sabot style bullet starting jag on the end and it should make it easier.

However, whatever you use, you have to get the bullet set ready to go down the barrel and have your ramrod with a bullet loading jag or the short starter with a jag set on top of the bullet. Now with your palm, hit/pop the top of your ramrod set up to get the bullet started. It takes a few times practice and a few dropped bullets, but you should get the hang of it. The secret is to have the bullet alligned and pop the ramrod to force the bullet down the barrel. I usually pop it a couple of times until it is well seated, then swith to just pusing.

You also need either a ramrod that had a "T" handle or some kind of palm saver to be able to push it on down without hurting your hand.

Yeah they are. In muzzleloaders without a QLA they can be REALLY difficult to get started in the bore. I don't know of any "trick" to get them started...I just mainly make sure it is plumb with the more and try to push it in... Of course with a QLA there is nothing to it...

The Flare on the FPB is .507", and your Knight bore is probably around .502".

I haven't tried this yet, but I don't see any reason why it won't work. With your breech plug out of your rifle at home try pushing one in nose first, just far enough to swadge down the flare, then push it back out. The rifling should line up when you load it for real and the hard part of getting it started should already be done. Try it with 3, and shoot a group to see if there would be any ill effect. If not, You could do that in a minute or two with all of your bullets and have them pre-rifled, ready to load easily at the range or for follow up shots in the field.

thanks for all your help everyone. it is worth the aggravation the way they shoot. also for everyone that is about to use the FPB'S , i found out the hard way, make sure your ram rod is solid at the pushing end,if it is not, your rod will pull off the red plastic tip on the end of the bullet. thanks rich

Latest posts

Back