Hawken .50 cal LRH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you go with a .502 or a .503 for hunting? I have a bunch of.503 from no excuses for my Mountaineer. I just don’t want to do something I shouldn’t. I’ve never gone over the bore size, always right at or a shade under and I always have a felt wad.

Do you go with a .502 or a .503 for hunting? I have a bunch of.503 from no excuses for my Mountaineer. I just don’t want to do something I shouldn’t. I’ve never gone over the bore size, always right at or a shade under and I always have a felt wad.

In my .501 bore if i am using PURE Soft lead i “Usually” go .502-.503, Whichever i feel is “Holding” the Bore the best? Contrary to belief, The larger Bullet doesn’t Always hold the Bore The Best, ESPECIALLY so with PURE Soft Lead, The Larger Bullet can be Stripped out as it is being Pushed Down Through the Riflings, I have Actually had the Smaller Bullet Fit Better. This ALL comes down to a “Per Bore” Basis, What works IDEAL for me, might not in your Bore? If i am using an Alloy such as 1-40 I rarely ever go over .001 Over Size, So a .502 in my .501 Bore. 1-40 Alloy is a Method i came up with for Bullets that Loosen up “Strip out” as they are being pushed down. Again, EVERY Bore can Vary, a Guy needs to Experiment with Size/Fit in EACH Bore :lewis:

Here is the Best Example i can give, My Green Mountain LRH .45 Cal has a .451 Bore, I bought this Barrel Brand new and have taken Meticulous Care of it. Say i load a Maxi Ball, Typical tight to Start with (Maxi’s utilize a Larger Front Band, Called a Driving Band) About half Way down the Bore the Bullet would Start Getting loose? And by the time i had gotten to the Powder Charge, the Bullet WAS LOOSE??? NOBODY here had even the SLIGHTEST IDEA what was happening? The answers i got are Comical to look back on.

I had this Mold Made to COMBAT the Loose Bullet problem, Now Remember i was Using PURE SOFT Lead here, and my bore is .451 Diameter (Land to Land), Now Look at these Bullet Band Numbers (This is MY BULLET that I designed) Guess what? Halfway down the Bore this Bullet would Also Get loose??? :) It was then that i started playing with Alloys, 1-40 FIXED THE LOOSE BULLET PROBLEM!!! This Bullet Made of 1-40 Alloy was TOUGH to get down, I started Sizing for all of My Lube Groove Bullets, Per Bore. I can size this Bullet to .452 when Cast of 1-40 Alloy and it will HOLD THE BORE LIKE A ROCK!! Pure Soft Lead, it will Strip out and Be loose
Sfwqzapl.png

Smj66, On IdahoLewis's suggestion I switched from pure to 1:40 alloy and have been super happy with how well bullets stay put in both my Knight sst barrel and my CVA nitride barrel while hunting. I size .0015 - .002 over. Mine are .45 cal.

Thanks, I like the explanation and details. Makes much better sense.

Smj66, On IdahoLewis's suggestion I switched from pure to 1:40 alloy and have been super happy with how well bullets stay put in both my Knight sst barrel and my CVA nitride barrel while hunting. I size .0015 - .002 over. Mine are .45 cal.

That is exactly how i like them too when shooting BH209. They still load easy enough and so far no FTF or hang fires. Accuracy has been more than acceptable.

Back