Hawken Sunday

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMG1894

Reaction score
Well I took a break after Sunday chores and snuck off to my shooting spot with my TC Hawken rifles. One of them was once a .54 with the common 1:48 twist that TC is fond of. Anyways one day she decided she wanted to be a .58 only then of course was when one popped up for sale on a gun forum up here in The Great White North call Canadian Gunnutz. I snapped it up faster than you can say Welcome back Kotter. It was a new unfired Green Mountain 32”, 1:70 twist .58 cal barrel, price was right. She shoots awesome at 50 and 100 with Lee cast .575 rb.
Right now she is liking 110grs Goex 2F.
Yes she is easy on the shoulder. Smacking steel at fifty made a satisfying ‘ring’.
The other Hawken is somebodies kit gun they put together I’m guessing back in the 80’s or earlier due to the older style rear sight which has been replaced with a TC factory peep-sight.
80grs of 2F as well with Lee cast rb.
striking the steel plate was convincing enough that she speaks with authority. I was able to touch off 3 shots each before the rain 🌧 clouds moved and spoiled my fun. But it was still very satisfying to make ‘smoke’.
The last two shots were aimed from the knee, same distance at the old brake rotor off my Ridgeline- sorry no pics.
My patches are cut from pillow ticking lubed with TC bore butter as it was all I had. But the groups speak for themselves.A2A0DF8C-929F-4D89-B590-91D22BF88637.jpeg6FEA1184-A44B-43EA-9976-5FC4C52ED752.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes Marty the overall weight sure helps ;)
I look very forward to this fall with her.

Buck, she just keeps surprising me in a good way 👍

Latest posts

Back