TC Hawken .54 with .58 GM barrel for Big game

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMG1894

Reaction score
So I've had this for a year now. Its seen the range numerous times and shoots quite well with 110grs of GOEX 2F and cast .58 rb.
My plan this fall is go after elk and or moose. Whichever tags I am able to get.
The barrel is 1:70 twist so totally a patched round ball shooter. I nailed a nice whitetail buck with the same Hawken the year before with a .54 round ball. Now I want to go after something bigger!
Anyone else have the opportunity to harvest a big animal with a .58 patched round ball?
I'd love to hear from your experiences.

Sgt Recoil

I've gotten elk with a .54 PRB and 80gr of Swiss 2F. Your .58 should be no problem.

Put a hole through both lungs and fill the freezer.

Bear Claw said:
I've gotten elk with a .54 PRB and 80gr of Swiss 2F. Your .58 should be no problem.

Put a hole through both lungs and fill the freezer.
What was the range Bear Claw?
I can land a .58 round ball in a pie plate at 100yds. However, will it still carry sufficient energy to drop say an elk or moose.

I have a .58 Zouave coming that I bought from an online auction.
$250 and it looks like new.
I'll try it with round ball, and mini boolets.
Either will drop a deer.
Ohio is real short on bear and elk. :(

Over kill on white tail?
Well.............yeah!
My uncle Wilbur used a .300 Weatherby for deer.
His saying was: "I'd rather be over gunned than under gunned."
I agree.
When I was a police officer I carried a .357 magnum and later a .45 auto.
Thank God I never shot anyone.

jeager106 said:
... .58 Zouave....with round ball....
If you use a real tight patch and ball combo, it should do great.  Too loose, and the shallow rifling won't grab so well.

With hollow-base minnies, mike your bore and get minnies that are just barely smaller. Too much of a dif between bore and minnie diameters, and accuracy will suffer.

@ Brownbear:

Thank you for the suggestions.

I'll report when I get the thing and get time to shoot it.

I'll MAKE time to shoot it. :D

Another question on this barrel of mine.
I stripped all the bluing off and browned it with Birchwood Casey Plumb brown. It turned out patchy.
This isn't my first brown job but definitely not the best results I've ever gotten.
So can I re-brown over the existing brown?

Yes you can touch up those lighter spots. That's normally from the barrel not being heated evenly and is left cooler in some places.

Aquafortis is a great browning/staining agent.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/pdfs/aquafortis/instructions.pdf

Instructions.^^^^

Where to get it???

Beats me.

I had some years ago but I'll bet it's HazMat now and shipping might be problematic.

Dunno.
google and google some more if interested.

I suppose one could make it by diluting acid but .....................

I'd be real cafeful.

Rubber gloves, face mask,..............

These days you have to find a used one or have one built. Once upon a time Green Mountain made a series of drop-in barrels for TC, but they quit. They probably pop up used here and there, but you'll have to hunt. Be aware though that the 58's come only in 1" barrels.

The Gun Works in Oregon reportedly makes them on order, but I haven't tried one. I'd expect it to be very good because they do great work and use highly regarded Oregon barrels.

Unfortunately TOTW cant or wont ship the Aquafortis to Canada, I tried a few years back (2009) as it is Hazmat.

The .58 Green mtn drop in barrel was purchased new from a feller up in here Canada who had plans but they went sideways, because I happen to own a .54 TC Hawken (1" across the flats) I figured his would be a perfect drop in which it was, just minor filing to shorten the under barrel rib.
Shes a dandy with 110grs Goex 2F and homemade patch/lube and home cast Lee mould .575 round ball.
100yds and shes landing lead in the kill zone.

As for the re-browning question, I believe the patchy/streaky finish was due to using a propane torch.
I've since read of using your oven to get a more even heat. I just hope it fits :)

Back