Head Shots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim

Reaction score
I need a little help understanding why a hunter takes head shots on deer.

I have been reading more and more accounts of head shot kills. In fact on the "other" board there is a new member relaying accounts of numerous deer kills this year with most being head shots. Why select this shot.

Is the selection of a head shot an ego driven shot selection? It appears that a hunter relaying an account of a head shot is in someway, in his mind, proclaiming himself to be a great hunter when in fact in my mind it reduces his prowess as a hunter.

Most all have worked with the Savage, and other MZ's to achieve MOA accuracy or better, however this is from a bench in ideal conditions. Does this accuracy carry over to the field with less than ideal conditions, I think not.

I have way to much respect for the animal I hunt to ever take less than the highest percentage shot available. By highest percentage shot available I do not mean to limit the selection by only what is presented. I would never take a head shot only because that was all that presented itself. I would try and utilize hunting skills to obtain the shot I want rather than try and rely on shooting skills and settle for what is available, or I wouldn't shoot.

I am now 50 years old. I clearly remember the hunting ethics and respect for the animal I hunt that my father instilled in me as a young man growing up. I have passed these same personal ethics on to my son. In our mind, it is our obligation to make a clean one shot kill. If anything reduces that opportunity below an acceptable certainty you just pass the shot. You don't alter this standards for the last day of season, a big buck, or the it's only a doe attitude.

I can see no basis to take such a low percentage shot unless driven by ego, bravado, testosterone or peer pressure.

I'm sure there are some members on this board that views on this subject differ greatly from mine. That's what I want to understand. How can anyone justify such a low percentage shot, knowing the potential outcome of a slightly off target shot.

I apologize if this has been discussed here before, I couldn't find it if it had.

Kim

Kim, what you say has a lot of merit, and don't like to take heads shots. There are some who do it and are successful. A head shot, if properly made, is efficient. I think it depends on the hunter, his rifle and his skill.
I hunt with a friend who takes them when conditions are right. This year 2 out of the three deer he took were head shots. I've tried them but fortunetly cleanly missed.

There can be no denying that a properly placed head shot is a very deadly shot.

I'm not trying to upset anyone, just to understand the logic.

While I do not take head shots or recommend the practice they are effective in the right situations. For example, my brother had a shot at a doe at 7 yards but only her head presented a shot. He was above her in a stand and being afraid she would bolt, he pulled the trigger and the 250 XTP made a canoe out of her head. I was going to share the picture but thought it would be in bad taste and disrespectful of the deer. :(

I thinnk what I was trying to say at 5:30 am was if a hunter has confidence in his firearm and his skill, and the situation is right(range and rest) it's effective and humane. I personally don't feel comfortable doing it. It only takes slight twitch and you blow off a jaw and run the risk of losing a mamed animal.

Rifleman said:
"A mans got to know his limitations." Clint Eastwood

I like that quote. I have never even considered a head shot.My oldest son use to say,"No waste ,I don't eat around the head."If the deer was with-in 50 yards and no horns it had a hole in the head when he brought it home.

I've heard people say that a head shot wastes no meat, but a properly placed broadside shot into the "boiler room" usually wastes very little meat unless you're into saving the ribs. But, as you all well know, a deer doesn't always present the perfect shot, so you don't always have that option. I personally have never taken a head shot on a deer.

I say head shots on deer are bad news....I don't even use them on "finishing shots" anymore at zero yards due to a couple bad experiences. I saw some one take a head shot and hit the deers jaw...what a disaster and that deer suffered badly. It seems like a good idea, but it can turn real bad real fast. Please take my advice and stick to the heart/lung shots.

I took a shot at a buck deer one morning with open sight muzzleloader. I was in a tree, probably 25 ft, and the deer was out about 40 or 50 yards down the ridge from me. The deer had just come out of a pine thicket and was standing looking down the hill. I put the bead on the shoulder and just as I squeezed the shot off, the deers head was in my sight picture. It had looked back over its shoulder. The deer flipped over backwards and as it flipped, I saw a splash of blood on the side of it's head. I started reloading, thinking that deer was head shot and was dead. About the time I got reloaded, the deer stood up. I put another ball thru the ribs and it went down to stay. The angle I had on the deer was so steep, I shot the eye out of the deer's head, the bullet never went into the head. Head shots are risky, too many wounded animals, jaws shot off and stuff. Same with neck shots in my opinion, put the round thru the shoulder or lungs.

"I'm sure there are some members on this board that views on this subject differ greatly from mine."

Not me! I feel the boiler room presents the highest percentage shot, so that's what is taken most of the time. I did aim for the base of the deer's neck this year in Wi., but it was the first deer that I saw in 2 years there, and that was the only vital zone that was available. This was taken @ 130 or so yds, with a gun that shoots <1/2 moa under good conditions. If I'm concerned about ruining meat, I just shoot a little farther back to only catch ribs/lungs and miss the shoulder.

Blue-Dot-37.5

A man does have to know his limitations. I am of the opinion that you should take the shots that are presented to you, this does not mean you should be stupid and blaze away. If your skill level allows it, by all means take the head shot! I have and will continue to do so, IF the situation warrants that shot.It truly is about knowing your limitations. And only you will know that answer. To me it is not about being Macho or egotistical. It is about marksmanship, and knowing when and when not to shoot.I do not BRAG about it, I do not post it,nor do I think it makes me the GREAT WHITE HUNTER! It is about the end result, a quick humane death, via head shot, neck shot,shoulder shot,behind the shoulder shot, dead center chest shot, etc.Once again, skill level and situation dictates the shot for me,not what someone might think.

Kim said:
I need a little help understanding why a hunter takes head shots on deer.

I have been reading more and more accounts of head shot kills. In fact on the "other" board there is a new member relaying accounts of numerous deer kills this year with most being head shots. Why select this shot.

Is the selection of a head shot an ego driven shot selection? It appears that a hunter relaying an account of a head shot is in someway, in his mind, proclaiming himself to be a great hunter when in fact in my mind it reduces his prowess as a hunter.

Most all have worked with the Savage, and other MZ's to achieve MOA accuracy or better, however this is from a bench in ideal conditions. Does this accuracy carry over to the field with less than ideal conditions, I think not.

I have way to much respect for the animal I hunt to ever take less than the highest percentage shot available. By highest percentage shot available I do not mean to limit the selection by only what is presented. I would never take a head shot only because that was all that presented itself. I would try and utilize hunting skills to obtain the shot I want rather than try and rely on shooting skills and settle for what is available, or I wouldn't shoot.

I am now 50 years old. I clearly remember the hunting ethics and respect for the animal I hunt that my father instilled in me as a young man growing up. I have passed these same personal ethics on to my son. In our mind, it is our obligation to make a clean one shot kill. If anything reduces that opportunity below an acceptable certainty you just pass the shot. You don't alter this standards for the last day of season, a big buck, or the it's only a doe attitude.

I can see no basis to take such a low percentage shot unless driven by ego, bravado, testosterone or peer pressure.

I'm sure there are some members on this board that views on this subject differ greatly from mine. That's what I want to understand. How can anyone justify such a low percentage shot, knowing the potential outcome of a slightly off target shot.

I apologize if this has been discussed here before, I couldn't find it if it had.

Kim[/quote

Kim-I work with a man who only takes head shots He hunts only one stand and kills a deer every year.His shots are between 100 and 125 yds.The reason he shoots for the head? He uses a .243. Works for him-no ego involved.He knows his range,his rifle and his capability.

Charlie

I'm actually just editing some video right now of a moose hunt that Kim and I did last fall and the only shot she was offered on a young bull was a head shot at 155 yards with her Omega. The bull was standing butt to us looking back at us and his next move was into the heavy cover. It was that shot or nothing.

I had every confidence in the world in Kim and the Omega's ability and she put the big beast down in his tracks! If things had of been different I'm certain she would have taken a lung shot but they weren't and she made it happen. For the hunter with the ability to do it, it is a feasible shot.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I still feel, just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done. The target is too small and thereis not enough margin for error in an adrenalin filled hunting situation. My advice is pass on these shots and let the animal walk. Besides, you get to keep hunting, what's wrong with that. Essentially, I don't think we should encourage this type of shot.

I have taken many animals, deer included with head and upper neck shots. Have not lost a single one. I have taken many animals, deer included with lung and heart shots, have lost a couple with those shots. I know my abilities and what my guns can do. I will take the upper neck/head shot EVERYTIME over any other shot if it presents it's self.

I'm no fool either and I can spell too.

Back