Head Shots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deernut states "not enough margin for error in an adrenalin filled hunting situation".
And with that I agree, if I'm looking at a great buck you can bet I will go for the heart lung shot, my blood will be pumping. Besides why would I want to make a head shot and ruin the rack? If on the other hand I'm looking at a doe, I simply don't get the adrenalin rush. This shot is simply a technical application of marksmanship to put meat on the table. Provided conditions meet my requirements I will take a head shot for two reasons. The deer is dead before it hits the ground, that's as humane as I can do it. Secondly, I waste nothing of the deer, that is respectfull of the animal giving it's life.

What are my requirements? I have to be 100% confident in the weapon I'm using (that means I've put in the time at the range to KNOW what it's capable of) and the shot must be less than 50 yards. Even with these requirements met I may avoid a head shot on any given day because of other variables. I know I am a new guy here but rarely is there only one good answer to a question like "should I use a headshot".

Course that's just my opinion and what do I know? :D

Makemtwitch. Welcome and your point is well made. I say "never say never". Do what ever you feel confident doing.

All depends on the circumstances.Personally,I like the high shoulder shot.

I agree that it is a matter of the circumstances. I am confident of killing a deer at 200 plus yards with a rib /shoulder shot and at 50 yards it can be an eye shot. In either event, I must be using sticks or a rock solid rest.

BR's - Cob

Back