Heater Body Suit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always been interested in these. Any members have any experience with these. Please comment. They are quite pricey but in really cold weather might be worth it.

I have an IWOM suit. I picked it because it had free arms with sleeves. I hunt mostly climber stands so its a bit tricky to get into after the climb, (it even has a rear slit for your safety sling, you wear a harness under and the tether easily slips through a slot made for it) but on real cold days there is no equal. It is surprisingly light for its warmth. the legs are basically just a bag, but it keeps feet warm and all. Feet were my main cold region and huge boots, or hotpacks were a staple. Its made so you can stuff sack it, or wear it compressed around your waist for the pack in. you can wear substantially less layers and garments underneath once you get into it, so for me, cold day overall carry in pack was lighter.(with the suit) Its very well thought out with pockets and pouches throughout. you can walk in wearing little to keep from sweating, then just this one light layer, well sealed and you will be amazed at the sit all day comfort. Pricey, but the effectiveness will surprize you. each system is a bit different, so you have to research and decide what suits your style best.
I only use it on the coldest days, but its one purchase I am happy with. no regrets

Last edited:
I bought and used one in 2005 for a British Columbia Whitetail and Mule Deer hunt. It worked great. Wrapped in the suit sitting in my blind during 20 below weather, I killed my biggest whitetail ever. Never had a need for it after that hunt. Traded it a few years backed for a couples of cases of micro brew beer.

Do they use batteries?
no, not in any I know, they rely on keeping in your body heat and locking out all exit points for heat loss
I think really the seed for these suits came from guys that would pack in sleeping bags, and sit all day in a bag. The heater body suit is basically an innovative sleeping bag with a quick drop release arms feature, then others evolved too, with all kinds of variations. One common theme seems to be the bag like legs on most, but it must be the most efficient way. The basic premise is like a wetsuit, but you use regular thin underlayers instead of a water layer. Its mostly all about keeping your core torso warm, but all limbs too...eliminating heat loss.

Last edited:
I didn't know if I'd like the Heater Body Suit because it envelops your arms also making it more difficult to get ready to take a shot. I'll have to mull this over for a while I guess. Late season here in Iowa starts maybe a week before Christmas and runs through Jan 10 and can be extremely cold. Hopefully my knee will be healed up enough after surgery in Oct.

Last edited:
I’ve brought a sleeping bag for my daughters to pull up around them in a ladder stand and it works great on below zero days, but only in places where you aren’t going to get snuck by a deer.

Used them quite a bit hunting with Judd Cooney in the Loess Hills. He had generic sizing and were a little difficult to put the booties on. They worked well and allowed you to sit all day in nasty weather. I think it would be a good purchase.

I made one from a sleeping bag added a hood and straps so you could get shoulders and arms out without it dropping. The thing was so bulky I never used it. I bought a Warmbag I think someone on Archery Talk was selling them. In NY I only use if it’s gonna be around freezing. It’s great packs up good for carrying and light weight but I’m as warm as toast in it.

Back