Hello from Montana

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hookshot

Reaction score
Just starting with MZ with a Remington Genesis .50. Had it out just once on a 10 degree quiet afternoon.

Results...

Only shot it 4 times...myself 2 and 2 for friends. Took 45 to reload and clean for those 4 shots, shivering included.

My...it is hard to stuff those projectiles down...did a sabot and a big conicle...conicle kicked like a 270 with nearly the same load 75g 777. Want to try some lead balls and see how they do with a light load at close range. When do you use a pad between the powder and the load? I did on the conicle but not the sabot.

It is hard to fill a measure from a 777 bottle. I am going to preload some paper packs or something next time. Need to take something to flip out the 209's too besides fingernails.

Need to take a tiny screwdriver to adjust rear site. Shot 10" low consistently at 50 yards...same side to side.

As reviewed by some...the Remington ramrod is very weak...needs a nob or something on the end to help push.

Not sure I like the fiber optic sites over old style open sites. I like a fine bead.

Cleaned up easily at home. Have some rem express clean patches. Need a pack of the express lube or something.

It was a blast. Want to go again with a few more things in the 'possibles' bag...even a short starter. Want to try it on small game and varmits and get comfortable for the mz areas (no season in MT) for deer next fall. Have permission to try Coyote at several ranches out here already.

Welcome to the forum. Its great to have you here.

I shoot a Remington Genesis as well. I never felt they kicked all that bad. I normally shoot 100 grains of Triple Seven and a .430 diameter .44 caliber Hornady 300 grain XTP in a green Harvester Crushed Rib sabot. Excellent accuracy with that load. It also shoots the 200 grain T/C Shockwaves with 100 grains of powder. That would knock a coyote for a loop.

Be sure to swab the bore between shots with windex or alcohol. Then a dry patch or two. Also if you want a neat too for loading and unloading the primers, look at a CVA capper/decapper tool. You can reach in and pluck that primer right out.

Be sure to wipe the inside face of the cam off with windex once in a while, and that thing will really shoot. I agree about the fiber optic sights, so I mounted a 1x scope on mine. I got the base and rings from Traditions Arms. Its the same as their Yukon rifle. The part is A1789 . You need high rings for the cam to clear, but you will find you fit perfect behind the rifle..

Good luck, welcome to the forum, keep shooting and keep us posted. How did it do with the big conicals?

CONICLES

The sabot really didn't have any objectionable kick at all. Conicle (I think a 350 g) was substantially more but didn't mind it. We were only shooting at 50 yards and couldn't adjust the sites that day, but even with the fiber optic, all 4 shots made were very similar in accuracy...though low, they all were in nearly the same spot. Vertical was perfect.

Expected a MZ to be heavy and long, but this Genesis is quite compact and not too bad. a little front heavy maybe?

You shoot it dry without any lubes at all? I will confess running a little veggie oil down it after cleaning patches thinking something must be necessary and all I had...though the conicle was prelubed with bore butter.

Thanks for the recommendations on loads.

Helena.

Entire valley is MZ, Shotgun, or Bow due to sprawl. Actually can shoot late august and take 6 doe and 1 buck during the season in the valley area. Had a good spot but kept missing with shotgun slugs so that is why I am stepping up to the MZ. Way too many deer in the area so Fish and Game upped the limits. I live IN town (can't shoot in town)and have real problems with the deer eating everything and every tree and then in the fall they trash the bushes and trees doing rubs. Have seen many 5 point monsters in my own tiny lot. (thats 10 point for you easterners?) Just this fall I was skinning a little buck I shot in my back shed and a solid 3 point walked up to us and I had to shoo it away. (shot the little buck north of town..not my shed) Count of deer in the city is at 700.

Most deer are muledeer...big and a little dumb. Whitetail are out there and a little tougher to find and often on the run. Am getting better at spotting them though. Very pretty and not huge.

rear site marks

Any idea if the marks on the sliding rear site are registered to any height at any distance like a scope? That would help me with a new starting point.

Weather is heating up :D

Those marks on the rear sight used to mean something. But anymore, I would hate to guess. When I first got started in traditional rifles, we set them half way and normally they were dead on at 50 yards. All you can do now is try the site and make adjustments as needed.

Finally got back out today. Set the site at the halfway mark. At 50 yards it seemed to be about right...My bifocals just can't see any better to make any adjustments...as it was I had to decide which pair of rear sites I was seeing to use :)

Was pretty pleased to hit a clay pigeon I found at 50. Also surprised to see the xtp 240 grain going through 5 inches of split firewood I was using for backstop. (60 gr 777)

Pretty hard stuffing those black sabots down. Noticed it would go hard/easy/hard/easy all the way down. Maybe I should be using one of those spinning jags?

Also noticed the rifling marks on the sabots after they are shot. I guess that proves they are spinning right.

What fun!

Latest posts

Back