hello from Tazewel Va.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Gloucester Co. VA. I have both the CVA Accura and the Mountain Rifle. Both do well. I like the feal of the Mountain Rifle the best but both are close to equal in the accuracy department.

... but if i'm gonna get a ML i want to get something decent and not have that nagging "what if" in the back of my mind ....
yeah .. i've got a lot to learn . take care , jeff
[/QUOTE]
Welcome, from SE Michigan, to our black powder anonymous support group!
Once you've started visiting the hours will fly by..
Soon you'll be trying to score some BH209 from 'Ace' down in the ghettos..

So far we have your requirements as..
-modern inline hunting rig
-perhaps leaning toward the "buy once, cry once" purchase perspective
-50 caliber
-assume 200 yards maximum with most under 100 yards

To expand on michiganmuzzy's post (#10), here's a couple other questions/points you might consider...

Fortunately, Virginia and Tennessee hunting regulations appear to be somewhat lenient, so unless I'm mistaken the more common regulations apply.
If you plan on hunting in states other than Virginia or Tennessee, you'll need to check each state's has specific laws for using muzzleloaders..
This site might help with your purchasing choices:
https://muzzle-loaders.com/blogs/muzzleloader-regulations/muzzleloader-regulations-by-state
Some places don't allow scopes. If this is the case, iron sites are a must. For the longer shots, perhaps adding rear 'Quigley' tang (or other) site might be in order.
The types of ignition/primers are often regulated. You might want to consider interchangeable primer systems for more hunting opportunities.

A couple sources for understanding/optimizing the ignition system include Badger Ridge (Michigan) and Arrowhead Rifles (Arizona).
With a little more info, some of the members here will likely chime in.

Have fun!

thanks hausser1 . i'll be staying in Va . saw 13 deer in the field beside the house yesterday so there's plenty of them around here . we have elk here now about an hour away but FWIU it's a lottery for now . i'd definitely like to find a place to hunt hogs in Va. though . i have 5 grills and i love me some pulled pork and ribs !
thanks folks , jeff
20220321_193814.jpg

Back