Hello from the land of Dry Heat Arizona

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akapennypincher

Reaction score
Twas the late 1960?s and I was shooting Modern Stuff in L.A. County at a Public Shooting Range in San Francisquito Canyon (spelin). Location is outside of what is now Newhall/Saugas CA.

Noticed down on one of the other Non Public Ranges that were used by other GROUPS & CLUBS a bunch of BOOMS, and ONE Hell of a Lots of BLACK SMOKE

My curiosity got the best of me so I wondered down and asked what these folks were doing, (Part of the Burbank Muzzleloaders), got an explanation. Plus someone ask if I would like to Try IT. Shooting a Muzzleloader.

Well I did, and was invited back in a couple of weeks with instruction to BRING NOTHING, than one of the guy let me shoot an Extra Springfield Civil War Surplus Muzzleloader.

I was hooked, and told I could order from a NEW CIVIL WAR Surplus Springfield from NUMRICH ARMS in NY for about 50 BUCKS. NUMRICH ARMS in NY closed, and ran out of Civil War Surplus years ago.

Made a trip to some sporting good store in Inglewood, for a mold and some MISC. goodies, Real Black Dupont Powder, Caps, and that is how I got started in Muzzleloading. Since than I have had several Muzzleloaders, most of which are gone.

Belonged to the NMLRA a couple of times, did the NMLRA Field Representative thing a year, and became disillusioned with the NMLRA, like most other clubs, and organizations I have belonged to.

Now I mostly shoot modern stuff, but still love once in a while shooting a Traditional Muzzleloader with Real Black Powder, and a Patched Roundball.

Think if you love shooting, fishing, hunting, or any other sport or hobby, etc. If you get frustrated with disorganization, poor leadership, and broken promises, or promises of next year. Don?t get involved with the organizations if it raise your blood pressure, or causes lost sleep. I am not politically correct, just consistent in my thinking, and expression of my thoughts.

Just do your own thing, have as much full as possible, and when it all becomes no more fun, more on to something that is fun.

P.S. That First Original Springfield Civil War Surplus was traded off 30+ years ago, wonder what it would be worth today???

Latest posts

Back