Help 209 work in vari flame breech???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denney767

Reaction score
Yesterday at 11:59 PM
Hey guys, I bought this stupid vari flame breech for my encore. I hadn't used it due to the difficulty finding primers and using the adapters. BUT I accidentally grabbed it instead of my normal 209 breech. 209s fit loose but close fine. I shot it a few times and was on paper fine. Can I shoot normal 209s? I'm on a hunt and doubt I can get a new breech very quickly! Could I drill the thing out so its deeper? Or use an o ring? Any advice would be appreciated!

Dam thats too bad. I know its a popular breech plug and ive seen them in stock in places like sportsmans warehouse and some gun shops. Theres a muzzleloader shop in colorado springs that had them in stock. But on Christmas you are probably not going to find one. Maybe you could find some little orings to fit the primers to the bigger pocket. Maybe at an autoparts store if one os open today.

Yeah its shooting them fine and seems to be punching them on the middle but the fit loose til its closed. Any ideas what it hurts to shoot thev209s in it? Will I loose accuracy?

I wouldnt drill it deeper. As long as its not giving you crazy amounts of blowback in the breech (like danger! shits flying out of it) Its probably just going to get the breech and firing pin a lot dirtier and will need much more cleaning.

Latest posts

Back