Help a newbie!!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumpalot

Reaction score
Well I got my first ML that I bought off this site and am currently awaiting a stock that I also purchased off this sight. Now I'm ready to dive in head first. I'd planned on using T7 pellets but I've been reading a lot about the "crud ring". Would Pyrodex pellets be better. Would I be giving up much against the T7. Black Mag isn't available anywhere around here. I'm working on a local sporting goods store to order that and some T7 primers for me. Should I even consider loose powder as a beginner. I reload extensively for my centerfires. So, I'm not scared to try it. Just didn't know if it was worth trying. Oh yeah, I plan on shooting a 250 grain sabot. Just not sure which one yet. Any suggestions? Mainly going to hunt antelope and deer. Thanks in advance and you can bet you'll be hearing a lot more questions from me. This is a great site!!!

No expert here, but will tell you what works for me or has in the past.
You can work up a accurate load with loose powder better than pellets most of the time. Start out at 80 grains and work up in 5 grain adjustments until you get accurate groups. Pellets are more expensive per shot.

Triple seven is a very good powder, with plenty of power, but the crud ring is there too. If you use a .45 brush to clean with in a .50 bore its alot easier to swab and not worry about the rod/brush getting stuck. I like the new Winchester Triple 7 209 primers best.

Pyrodex doesn't have the crud ring, and isn't as hot a powder unless you use the P grade (FFFg). Pyrodex is very corrosive and must be cleaned out immediately after shooting or your bore/breech/barrel will rust/pit.

As far as saboted bullets try the XTP's in 250 or 300 gr. with a Harvester crushrib sabot. Thats one very accurate bullet for me in the Encore.

Hope this helps, you never said what rifle you bought. I'm sure others will have other ideas as well. Good luck and welcome to a great sport, your gonna love it!! 8)

777loose

What toytruck said.

If you keep your 777 loose powder charges under 105 grains just a spit patch( mouth wet) patch should break thru the crud ring and remove enough of it for a reload. As the amount of powder used increases so does the crud ring.

If you are a handloader for centefire cartridges shooting 777 loose powder will be easy for you. You should purchase a T/C clear view powder measurer as they are marked in 5 grainst increments and importantly you are able to SEE the entire charge in the measurer.

It will be easier for you to find a very accurate load using 777 loose powder than having very little options with pellets. Remember you are "basically" handloading your black powder rifle.

You don't have to be a seasoned muzzle loader shooter to use loose powder. It was there long before pellets. Pellets came along as an expensive convenience. Working up a load is a lot easier with loose powder.
T7 is a littler hotter than pyrodex but comes with an inconvenience, the crud ring. If you don't mind spit patching between shots go with T7. If you don't like that, go with pyrodex. It a lot of trade offs. Find something you can live with. Me,,,,, I bought a savage and shoot smokeless now and don't have to make those choices anymore :p

if you use pyrodex, watch out ... you absolutely have to clean your rifle after you're done shooting. its a good propellant, otherwise. t7 isnt nearly as corrosive, although the fouling really hardens up if you let it sit. t7 is about 15% more potent on a volumetric basis than pyrodex. also seems to produce more recoil. it wouldn't hurt you to try both (i use both, depending on the rifle and the circumstances). also, i echo everything mentioned so far ... i have never used pellets, loose powder is cheaper and easier to adjust the load for accuracy. the crud ring has never bothered me ... but i always swab between shots when shooting sabots (whether pyrodex or 777).

if you do decide to use pyrodex, be vigilant about cleaning. it only takes a couple of days (or less :shock: ) to ruin your gun!

Forgot to mention it's an Omega. Got a great buy on some T7 50/50 pellets and some Bonded 250 gr. Shockwave's as Wal Mart today. They have everything on clearance. Figure I'll start there and see how it shoots. I'll try 100 gr. first and hope I get good groups. Keep the suggestions coming please. Thanks so far.

Latest posts

Back