help getting started with a knight tk2000 12 gauge shotgun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorren68

Reaction score
I am trading for my first MZ shotgun, and I need advice on getting it up to speed for turkey season.

Info on loads for turkey,and small game.

Can I shoot round ball out of this gun?

No the gun has a choke so do not shoot roundball out of it. You could damage the choke.

As for loads, have you got shot yet? I have the same gun. I purchased some #5 & #6 lead shot and mix them 50/50. This makes an excellent long distance load. Next important is wads.. for turkey use the longer more solid wads. I you needs some I could send you some of them to try.

I dump 100 grains of powder. Then a 3-1/2 inch wad without the slits on it. Then I pour in an equal measure of wad of shot down the barrel. Then a foam over the shot wad. I use the #11 caps to ignite mine and have never had an ignition problem. This is deadly out to 40 yards. But you better like recoil.

For smaller game, I use less powder like 70 grains and the smaller wad, but the same shot. And on small game I use the simple over the shot cardboard wads... This is my rabbit load.

But normally I hunt rabbits with my other black powder shotgun.

I picked up the shotgun today, I got #5 & #6 shot with it. I also got 3 of the 3inch wads, and a bunch of the smaller ones. I have a bunch of wads left over from when my son was shooting 4H and I reloaded for him. I need to try and find some more 3 inch wads, and I will probably make some OS cards from cardboard.

I have discovered the longer the wad, the longer the shot stays in it. This is important for turkey. For grouse, I use a simple 2-3/4 and load it with #6 shot or the combo shot bucket I keep.

The 3 inch should do well. I have a bag of them but have had such good luck with the 3-1/2 inch wads, I have yet to shoot them. I figured, pheasant hunting would be a good use for them, maybe even pond shooting ducks.

But for turkey I like the 3-1/2 inch. And the green ones and orange ones hold the tight patterns for me. The 4 slit white ones do pretty good. I was knocking around a 2 liter bottle at 40 yards one day with them. But this is not a gun you want to shoot a lot. As you will soon find out.

DSCN5095_zps6d4e62dd.jpg

DSCN5096_zps431334dd.jpg

Where do you get your wads from, and what type/kind of overshot card do you use?

I shot mine today with 100gr of FFg Goex, 3in wad, and a foam type os. I only shot at 15 yards, but it tore a turkey target up. you were right about recoil, thank Knight for puting a good recoil pad on the NWTF model!

I got the cardboard over the shot cards from Track of the Wolf. The foam over the shot cards from Knight. One of the small wads were from Gander Mountain. The 3-1/2 wads from Precision Loading (I think).

Also when I first got the TK a forum member was kind enough to send me some.

That target really took a hit. I shot a snowshoe rabbit two years ago with a turkey load at 30 yards and it really rolled that rabbit. I had a red dot on the gun and should of aimed in front of it a hare :D.

Thanks for the info and advice. The turkey target took a severe hit, I can only imagine what it did to a rabbit.

I'd stay with #6 shot as it will kill turkeys out as far as you have any business shooting at them. The number 6's will give you more pellets in the load and that is important.

So will the #5. I plan to let the guns pattern determine what busisness I have shooting at them.

That's kind of what I did. I tried #4 and that did not throw enough shot. Then #5 and that did better. Then #6 which again was a little too open at longer ranges. And one of the forum members mentioned he mix his shot of #5 & #6 so I tried that.

He also shot 100 grains of Triple Seven 2f. I shoot Pyrodex RS, Black Powder, and in my other 12 Gauge New Englander I use American Pioneer Powder only because I grouse hunt with that. And I find myself shooting a lot in one day. Even more so since the dog passed away.

Re: help getting started with a knight tk2000 12 gauge shotg

Lorren68 said:
Can I shoot round ball out of this gun?

I?ve had decent results, including several deer, with round ball and also the Lyman 525 Sabot Slug using a Winchester AA wad. Round ball diameter is .678. I only shoot these with the Improved Cylinder choke.

My gun does not use standard chokes, I can order an IC chocke for mine for steel shot, or a Mod choke for upland game. The chokes are about $30 a pop plus shipping.

I will just shoot the roundball out of my hawken, until I can get a more traditional smooth bore.

I found it to be a worthy investment. I get better patterns with the IC choke when shooting Hevi-shot turkey and waterfowl loads. The ability to shoot balls and slugs was just an added bonus.

I have a TK-2000 and a White Thunder, both guns shoot the best patterns with #5 shot. Better than both #4's and #6's. Don't know why, but that is the way it is.

I have never tried it, but if you removed the screw on choke, and covered the external threads on the barrel with something like duct tape to keep them from damage. you might get a round ball to shoot out of one??? You have that long expansion chamber before it leaves the barrel to go through though.

I do know that Knight did not recommend shooting a ball or slug from the gun at one time, and probably haven't changed there stance, even though they have changed hands?

The Knight will rock you with a max load, FOR SURE!

Lorren68 said:
Has anyone tries a load without a shot cup, Using an overpowder wad, shot, and an overshot card?

Not in my Knight. BUT I have loaded like that in my New Englander. The powder - over the powder card - shot cushion wad (made of cork) - the shot - then the over the shot card. It does all right at close to medium ranges. The reason I use shot cups is speed of loading.

Lorren68 said:
Has anyone tries a load without a shot cup, Using an overpowder wad, shot, and an overshot card?

Yes...with both cards and felt. I would say all results were positive.

Latest posts

Back