Help me identify my latest purchase

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellicose

Reaction score
I found this at a gun show last weekend. I am new to flintlocks and need some info on it. It is smoothbore, 69 cal. The only markings on the entire thing is "69 cal". The whole muzzle loader is about 47inches long, the barrel being around 31 inches. The stock is two piece. I do not know if the barrel threads into the octagon section or not. So what do you think it is? Also, how much is it worth?

20160306_192447_zpsziolckuo.jpg

20160306_192453_zpsukzxy9ks.jpg

20160306_192459_zpsgkdj2mzi.jpg

20160306_192507_zpskxp4qtf1.jpg

20160306_192512_zpswjdt9row.jpg

20160306_192522_zpspq1neqwq.jpg

20160306_192537_zpsgreyshdx.jpg

20160306_193715_zpscspqzzzm.jpg

20160305_163317_zpsmovus6rx.jpg

Man, look a that patchbox. That is kinda neat looking. 

I found another .69 that looks an awful lot like this one. 
That auctioned on Gunauction for 274.00. There is not a lot 
of additional information there.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/10224467

Ultra-Hi 68 Cal. Flintlock Trade Rifle- $230 Res.

You, sir, are a saint. I think that just might be it. End of the barrel looks a little different, but otherwise I think that is the one. Now...is the barrel two piece? Looks like it may be. Is that safe?

Most likely those bands are adornments called wedding bands.  The barrel is very unlikely to be a 2-piece barrel. Never heard of one .. ever.

I looked at the end of your barrel. I wondered if the brass had not been taken off of it? 
The wood follows that same shape...

Indeed, the brass is missing. I am going to try to find a replacement, though I don't know were to look. Also, I need to pick up a ramrod. Suggestions?

Patacazador, those are wedding bands.

... "Help me identify my latest purchase"...

It's a shoulder cannon from the look of the .69 mouth!   :lol:

That is an Ulta-High Minuteman. Ultra high was a short-lived company back in the late seventies and early eighties that sold really low end guns, including a CVA "Kentucky Rifle" knock-off.
The Minuteman model does indeed have a two piece barrel. The joint, as you might expect, is where octagon and round meet. The brass bands were not part of the original kit, and may have been added in an attempt to dress the gun up a bit. Before posting this I tried to find an old post on another forum that had scans from and old Buckskin Report showing pictures of the sectioned barrel. I have that particular issue but no way to scan it.
New in kit form they sold for 50-75 bucks. The lock is pretty much junk and the two piece barrel would stop me from shooting anything but blanks. And light blanks at that.
I love flintlocks. I shoot them almost exclusively. A poor one - and the Minuteman (not to be confused with the old Numrich model of the same name) is a poor one, could very easily sour a person on flintlocks permanently. I wouldn't even want this particular gun for a wall hanger. Save your money and look for, at least, a used Italian rifle that is made 2000% better.

You are dealing with a tech stupid dinosauar. I have had my first smart phone ever for less than a week. What you suggested would never have occurred to me. I'll give its try as soon as I can.

Randy Johnson said:
You are dealing with a tech stupid dinosauar. I have had my first smart phone ever for less than a week. What you suggested would never have occurred to me. I'll give its try as soon as I can.
No sweat. That option was done in my presence. I can not claim credit. 8)
We will wait.

Kentucky Colonel said:
Randy Johnson said:
No sweat. That option was done in my presence. I can not claim credit. 8)
We will wait.
Looks like you might be waiting for quite a while, because I cannot figure out how to copy and paste pictures from my cell phone to this website.
I am going to be posting an online journal for an over half of the Appalachian Trail hike this summer and had no problem posting a picture from the phone to the website there. But here? When I did what works for copy/paste with journal entries, paste (I have already copied it - I think) does not show up as an option.

Back