Help me think this through...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doegirl

Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to the range to test out my new Zeiss. Initial sight in at 25 yds, 3 shots off the paper about 2 ft low. Moved up to about 13 yds and started to adjust up. Well, I ran out of adjustments before I even got to the bull. I'm using the same rings as I did with the Banner (T/C maxima), and did not have this problem. With the Banner, by shot #5 I was sighted in @25 yds. Now what to do?

1. Remount the scope and try again? Switch position of the rings? (Front to back, back to front).
2. Deposit the gun at my friendly neighborhood gunsmith and say "You deal with it".
3. If #1 does not work, perhaps shim the rear of the base?

Those are my ideas, I wanna hear yours, Thanks....

Should I have posted this in "troubleshooting" or the "newbie" section?

Hey DG! Which model Bushnell Banner did you have on the Encore? We'll get you thru this! 8) I want to know how much windage/elevation adjustment your Banner has before doing anything else...

6X6-Banner Dusk and Dawn shotgun scope, 1.5-4.5. The range of adjustment is 60" @100yds.

Unless you/the smith did something HORRIBLY wrong while mounting that scope - you are not going to fix it without a major shim.

I would first try carefully reversing the rings to see if that helps - if not, it's going to take a shim or hardware change.

I took the gun back to Gander. The gun smith switched the rings positions and put 2 popcan shims under the rear of the base. I might have a chance to try the modifications out tommorrow.

and put 2 popcan shims under the rear of the base.

That's EXACTLY what I was going to suggest you do. I had to do that with an Omega. It worked perfectly.

Obviously the scopes adjust about the same amount. It's weird that just changing scopes caused that problem.

big6x6 said:
Doegirl..have you had a chance to try it out yet?

Nope, family emergency nixed me going out Friday. I probably won't be able to get out until Mondayl.

I think the Smith should have taken more time on the original mounting.When I do mine, if I have to use more than half of my adjustment range to get it bore-sighted I shim before I go any further.I don't know if it matters or not,but I don't like the idea that the reticle is adjusted all the way to the outside of the tube.I would think that the closer to the center it is,the less chance you have of losing zero should it get bumped or droped.LIke I said,I don't know if it matters but thats how I do mine.

I got to take the gun out today. The shimming did the trick. I'm sighted in @100yds and have about 50-55 clicks worth of elevation left. Why the Zeiss required shimming and the Banner did not is beyond me. I believe the issue is resolved. Thanks everyone for your input. :)

Latest posts

Back