Help needed badly.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpb

Reaction score
I recently traded for a Winchester Model 70 in 7mmWSM. One thing that I never new was that the quality of guns that come from Walmart are not the high quality guns that you can buy at the neihborhood gun store. The reason I know I called Winchester and was asking about a new stock and after I explained how the stock looked he automatically said bought at Walmart. The problem I'm having is it won't shoot with any consistancy. Its all over the target. I've freefloated the barrel and bedded the recoil lug, checked the scope mounts and all of the obvious things that a person normally checks. When freefloating the barrel how much space should there be between the stock and barrel and should it remain the same when mounted in a shooting vice with a support band pulled down around the barrel and stock at the stock screw where it mounts to barrel? I'm shooting 140gr Winchester Ballistic Silver tips and they are not cheap but I really need to try to get this rifle shooting before the 25th of Aug because I'm having rotator cuff surgery on my right arm on the 26th and I'm right handed. I'd like to get it lined out so when I can shoot it again it will be ready. I'll miss muzzleloader season for sure and hope for at least a couple of weeks of rifle, if I can get it hitting the broad side of a barn. Any help and suggestions would BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks, John.

Just a few things. I don't think Wal-Mart has any different quality guns than anyone else, when you compare the EXACT same model. To much going on at the manufacturer to go lower quality. I do realize there are cheap guns at Wal-mart, same as other places.

I'd strive to at least be able to slide the dollar bill between the forearm & the barrel.

I wouldn't want any pressure or 'band' holding down on the barrel while shooting. I'd just want the forearm supported, but let the barrel be free of any pressure.
The Model 70 trigger is very easy to adjust, at least the models up to the last big change-out. I'd get it down to 3(maybe 4) lbs or so for hunting. You can look up web instructions, or take it to a smith if it's to heavy. Chances are yours is 6+ lbs from the factory.

I'm sure ammo is costly for your gun, but I'd try a few types. It sounds like you have all the basics checked out, scope, rings, etc..

I like to see total control at 50 yards before you go out to 100 or beyond. At 50 you should have a nice, very tight group.

Now you 'traded' for this gun? I think you can sort this out, but guys have been known to trade off some under performers?

Just some stuff I'd check.

Do you reload? Too many times factory ammo is sized to Min SAAMI specs. and the bullet is not seated close enough to the lands. I've tuned rifles for guys that would shoot a 3" group@100yds with the factory loads. It was a .300Win Mag. I neck sized for the next load and using Winchester Supreme 780 I closed the group to under 3/4" @ 100yds. You have two choices- try other factry loads until you get some satisfaction or work up some reloads to fit the rifle. With either choice you are going to pay your way out of it. It may have an oversize chamber or anything. I own 7 CF rifles and have NEVER fired a factory round in any of them. I wrung out 2 mod 70's for a couple of guys over the years and my suggestion to them was to get rid of them. Best groups I could get out of them after trying 5 different bullets and 4 powders was about 1 1/2" groups at 100yds. That is totally unacceptable to me anyway. You may have traded for a dead horse. Best of luck!

muskrat30 said:
J
I'd strive to at least be able to slide the dollar bill between the forearm & the barrel.

I wouldn't want any pressure or 'band' holding down on the barrel while shooting. I'd just want the forearm supported, but let the barrel be free of any pressure.

I'm sure ammo is costly for your gun, but I'd try a few types. It sounds like you have all the basics checked out, scope, rings, etc..

I like to see total control at 50 yards before you go out to 100 or beyond. At 50 you should have a nice, very tight group.

Now you 'traded' for this gun? I think you can sort this out, but guys have been known to trade off some under performers?

These five points are my thoughts too. Especially having no pressure on the barrel. Good luck.

Check the barrel crown.
Even the slightest blemish or ding can cause you fits. If in doubt, have it recrowned.

Thanks to everyone. No I do not reload, yet, but I hope to get started sometime in the near future. I looked at the crown and I can't see anything wrrong like dent or nicks. It looks like I may change the Bushnell that's brand new out to a Leupold that I have on another rifle and see if that will do anything. I hate to do that though because the other rifle is dead on and with my luck it won't shoot the same after the switch.

I'd bet it's the scope.(assuming, as you say, the mounts are good) Even at it's worst, any modern rifle ought to shoot better than that. Scopes, on the other hand seem to be where people scrimp a bit. Even a good one can go bad. There is NOTHING more frustrating than attempting to sight in a rifle with a rotten scope. I would mount a known good scope, and try again. Since you are not sighted in, you really have not lost much there.

I would venture it could be the scope. My uncles and I bought 3 Weatherby Vanguards in .270 from Walmart for $250 apiece and they all shoot under 1 inch at 100 yards. We are more than pleased.

Yep it was the scope. I put a brand new Bushnell Trophy XLT 3X9X40 that I bought on the internet. This is not the first time I've bought a Bushnell on the internet that was no good. I think that I'll stick to Leupold from now on. I took a Rifleman off of another rifle and it didn't take long to have the Model 70 shooting within hunting accuracy. Thanks again. (Only problem now is I have to get another scope for my Accura.)

I bought a model 70 270WSM from walmart back in 2000. I had a problem with the scop mount being loose, but once I figured that out it has been a great gun. I love that caliber too. I have a Burris Short Mag scope on it.

Latest posts

Back